Break-In Fire Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, we did the first 2 break-in fires on our new Country Striker S160 (smallest stove they make) and we have one more to do:

45-60 minutes @ 450 degrees.

My dilema is how to know what temperature we are burning since we can't use our magnetic thermometer until after this 3rd fire and the paint sets.

They told us for the first 2 fires (20 minutes @ 250 degrees) to use 3 logs 12" by 4" and some kindling and that should do it. Ok, that's done.

We have some soft wood (pine) and a variety of hard wood (walnut, eycalyptus and ash) according to our wood guy.

Any suggestions on how to achieve 450 degrees (or is this a stupid question)?

IE, one split of hard wood with kindling, etc.

We have great draft and did our first fires with the air wide open and the door cracked, opening the door every 10 minutes so that the gaskets wouldn't stick to the stove during break-in.

CountryGal,

Sounds like you folks are doing it correctly. Usually, the first small fire cures the paint and the few there after relieve any stresses in the metal from welding, bolting, and just plain ol' dynamics of the metal crystal structure itself.

The paint is considered cured when it no longer smells when you fire it up.

As-far-as the last break-in burn, I would stick to a split or two and watch the flames. Once you achieve secondary burn, you can probably assume the temp is at least 400 Deg.

The last time I took the actual firebox surface temp of my Hampton, It was about a third full of fuel, and about a third throttle (Open Damper). That puts it right around 450 Deg. I'm sure your stove is different and If I hadn't said that, I'd probably get hammered by the other members.

It's nice to see folks actually break the stove in before literally "Pouring the Coals to it"

Enjoy the Desert, It's 31 Deg in Buffalo, NY and snowing!!!!

Thanks! I hope I can recognize secondary burn when I see it. :)

I love snow as long as I don't have to drive in it. Believe it or not, we actually had a big snow a few years ago here, the day before Thanksgiving.
When I woke up I thought I was living in Big Bear!

Attachments

• Snow 11-21-04 MB.JPG
    Snow 11-21-04 MB.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 402
  • Snow 11-21-04 Wood Shed.JPG
    Snow 11-21-04 Wood Shed.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 395
Nice snowfall,

That's a fall teaser here. But at least you guys had the wood covered.(Not that it wouldn't dry within the next day)

Secondary burn is what the view is all about. It will look as though the wood is evaporating and the flames are burning above the wood. In fact, it's the smoke that is burning. You'll know it when you see it. After you know how to achieve secondary burn, that is ideally where you will want to run your stove. It was designed to!!! It is also good that you guys bought a small stove. You probably just need minimal heating. That said, you can run your stove at the higher temps of secondary burn and not roast yourselves out of the ranch.

It will also prevent you from inadvertantly damping the stove down into the cooler ranges of producing smoke and therefore creosote. We need pic's of the install, we need to critique!!!

Besides, most of us are Yankees and don't see many desert ranches!!!!

CG, do you have an instant read kitchen thermometer thet goes to 450 or a turkey fryer thermometer? if so just lightly lay the tip on the top and hold it (with gloves ) ultill you get a reading.

If it goes to 450 it would. but anything off the BBQ at 450 Id think you could use as firewood!

Across the Colorado river from Laughlin Nv. Just north of Needles Ca. Where Az, Ca And Nv come to a point

Status
Not open for further replies.