1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Break-In Fire

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by riguy, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riguy

riguy New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Hello everyone,

Getting my Lopi Declaration installed tomorrow. Just wondering if there is any special break-in procedure I'm supposed to follow? I looked in the manual, and I did not see anything other than what to do expect from the first fire (smell, keep door cracked b/c of door seal). I'm thiking of doing a short burn and let it cool completely. After that, full bore. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    I would do 3 or 4 short burns, each one a little bigger then the last.
  3. lopisloser

lopisloser New Member

Be sure to have a few slow burns! I have a Lopi Endeavor that I did a couple slow burns and thought I had cured the paint fine. The paint peeled within the first two weeks! I was so mad. Brand new stove that looks like crap now. Don't bother trying to contact the company ,they said paint isn't under warrenty, that is why they send a black can of touch up paint. I would never have anyone buy a Lopi. My friends got a country stove the same time and never had a problem with paint. I also wrote a letter to Kurt Rumens the president of Travis Industries. He never even responded. Good Luck
  4. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    You mave have had a isolated incident. Doesnt excuse that you got poor service. I wouldnt expect travis to deal with you, i would expect your dealer to deal with you. Travis makes a good product and i rarely have heard any complaints with there product.
  5. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Curing the paint will probably take more than a couple little fires. But you can do them sort of back to back, allowing the stove to cool down in between.

As well as these little fires curing the paint (which will stink to high heaven if it's like mine was, even a fire or two after the break-in fires, which should be outlined in detail in your manual) there is also moisture to be driven out of the metal. At least I heard that somewhere. I think this is more important with cast iron than steel. I think someone here once said you should actually have a break-in fire as your first fire of each year, so as to be sure to dry the moisture out before heavy firing levels. I think this prevents cracking the metal parts. I guess due to the water expanding inside the metal or something.

I wish I could remember who said this or where I heard it. Anybody want to comment? Ever hear this?
  6. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Country and Travis use the same freakin paint!! And the arrogance to think you deserve a response from the president of a multi-million dollar company when there are countless avenues for you to pursue for customer service is flat out ridiculous. On top of that it is more than likely you overfired the stove to cause the paint to flake, I know I know your absolutely perfect and were born with a poker and kindling in your hand. You've burned more wood than anyone on earth and obviously the stove you purchased is the problem even though 95% of all manufacturers paint there stoves with the Forrest Stove Bright paint and their stoves are made of similar steel obviously Forrest puts pixie dust in the paint they sell to Country preventing flaking of any kind ever. For all the time it took you to talk about how crappy your new stove is you probably could've repainted and properly cured it.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    "Mary"

"Yes BB?"

"Hold that call to Shane until next week."

"Why BB?"

"I don't think he is having too good of a week."
  8. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    This thread is already hijacked anyway, so what the hey.
    I agree with shane. I didnt have the balls to post it here but its very strange that he went to the presedent of Travis. That tells me that his dealer probably told him that he overfired it and wasnt happy with that answer. I suppose its possible for there to have been oil on the steel that wasnt cleaned and the paint pealed. 99% of the time the paint will peel if overfired. But anything is possible. There will be two point of views here. The consumers view and the dealers. Plus i think it was rude of the poster to tell a guy that he just made the biggest mistake buying his stove that he proably resarched,shopped, and was excited to get installed tommorrow. And we all no that Travis is no fly by night company.
  9. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Reality is a good thing.

Tell it like it iz, boyz!
  10. riguy

riguy New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Well...okay then....small fires, cool down, got it....good...thanks
    LOL

Actually, since I have the insert, there's not much paint that will be exposed, really. And about the Lopi? I think I made a good decision based on everyone experience that I've spoken to. The gentleman above is the first person I've heard of that's had a negative thing to say about Lopi.
  11. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Yeah there's not alot bad to be said about Lopi. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your unit those new flushmounts are awesome. What face did you get the painted one or the pewter one? Take a picture of it when its installed we all like to see them.
  12. sgcsalsero

sgcsalsero Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    ClevelandRocks
    If you pull up one of the Jotul owner's manuals (in .pdf) it gives pretty specific info on break in fires . ..not sure
    if your stove is cast iron, size, etc, but just thought I'd fyi
  13. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Alot of times you get way more then you ask for on here. Welcome to the forum riguy!
  14. riguy

riguy New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Thanks. Well, the stove is in and the first fire is burning. Will post in the gallery now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.