Break in Fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurando

Feb 24, 2008
Hamilton NJ
OK sorry to bring back an old topic but i'm a little late to the game this season. i just lit my T5 for the first time and i spoke to PE and they said break in fires are not necessary but i am doing them anyway. my current stove top temp is about 250* i am happy with that but my questions

are how long to maintain the temp/fires?
Dose the whole stove have to reach this temp ?
and should i let the stove cool completely before the next fire or just let the stove top go back down to say 100* or so?

i am really eager to not spend any more money on gas if i can get the break in fire out of the way today that would be great

It's not really required with the T5, though it won't hurt to drive out any remaining moisture in the firebricks. Bring it up to 500 on the next round and open the windows. It will smoke for a while.

so it should be ok if i don't let it cool i have been holding 250-275 for about an hour now i would love to put some bigger splits in and get the break in out of the way

Ok i decided to go for it after an hour at 250 -275 she cooled down to about 175-200 and i added more wood had her full boar for about 25 min got to 350 and started seeing smoke off the top

OK well the smoke stopped and i got to 500 i turned the air down it was on 3/4 no down to about 1/3 i have to say what a beautiful stove i am really happy so far and it has only been lit for 2 hours i am still amazed that there is zero smoke coming out of the chimney.

John, you are good to go. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.