Break in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim41

May 13, 2008
"Central Ma"
My sister and brother in law just purchased a Regency 2400 insert just like mine and it is scheduled to be installed the week after Christmas. Mine was installed during warm weather so it wasn't a big deal to open doors and windows to ventilate the house from the odors of the break in fires. Any thoughts on having a couple small fires in the stove while it's outside prior to installation. If not, I suggested that they isolate the great room from the rest of the house with a barrier(plastic drop cloth) and open the windows until the odors are gone. They asked me how I like my insert, my reply is "It's the best purchase I ever made" . We love it.

I have read some posts from people that have had their break in fires in their driveways, or whatnot, before bringing the stove inside the house. Probably the ideal thing to do, actually.

No problem. Just get a length or two of single wall stove pipe (cheap) from the hardware, sit the stove in the driveway and have a burn or two. The first one at least should be a small fire.

Of course the only problem with this is that the new pipe in the room might possibly smoke too. If at all possible, use that pipe for the burn in the driveway.

Thanks. Good idea with the stove pipe, I'm sure it will help with the draft. Although I have not posted in a while, I still check in and read up on what's going on. Merry Christmas to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.