Break in period for new stove top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfreak

Nov 18, 2005
Altona, NY
I just had a new top installed on my Jotul 600 Firelight under warranty. It is the blue black enamel. No stove cement was needed but the gaskets were replaced. Should I follow my owners manual for a 3 break in fire? My first few fires in the fall are generally only overnight and around 400 degrees surface temp.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt. When starting up any castiron stove after a long idle period it's recommended to do some break-in fires first.

For these break in fires, what should I burn to not get the temps up.? I come from the fireplace world and have never tried to build a 'cooler' fire. Also, what's the best way to control/reduce the temperature if it gets too warm and you've shut-off as much fresh air as possible?

This is mostly for castiron and soapstone stoves. Steel stoves usually don't require such a long breakin.

Control it by only burning small fires. Less wood = shorter burn times and less heat. Incrementally build slightly larger fires, letting the stove cool down in between. First fire maybe with only 2-3 small splits. Burn for about 30 minutes, stove top maybe at 300. Let it go out and let the stove cool down to room temp before starting the next fire. Second fire maybe 4-5 small splits, let it burn for say an hour, stove top temp at maybe 400.
Third fire, a little more wood and a burn a little longer, using the air control so that the stove top temp doesn't exceed recommended breakin temp (say 450 for the 3d fire).

Status
Not open for further replies.