Break in stove outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has done the "break in" fires for a stove outside before installing it?

I remember my little Jotul Nordic putting off quite a stink when I first started firing it up for the initial, 7 or 8, hot fires.

Now that I am putting in the Oslo, which is twice as big, I am wondering if I can stick a piece of stove pipe about 4' on the outlet and burn some fires in it outside in order to avoid the smell inside the house once I install it.

Thanks,

J.P.

Is the stove painted or enameled? If painted, sure, put a length of pipe on it and slowly breakin outside. If enameled, I wouldn't worry too much about the smoke smell. It was pretty minor on our stove.

You bet. Best way to do it.

Attachments

• running hot.jpg
    running hot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 528
  • 30 outside.jpg
    30 outside.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 541
Huzzah!!, there's the source of global warming!.

SmokinJoe said:
It's painted.

Thats why I asked.

How slow is slowly?

J.P.

Follow the manual:

Complete the following steps for the proper break-in procedure
for the Jøtul F 500:
To monitor the stove’s temperature, Jøtul recommends the use of
a magnetic stove-top thermometer, placed directly on the corner
of the stove’s top plate.
1. Light a small fire, newspaper and kindling only, only allow
the stove to reach a maximum surface temperature of 200°.
Burn for approximately1 hour.
2. Allow stove to cool to room temperature.
3. Light a second fire, allowing the stove to reach a maximum
temperature of 300° for 1 hour.
4. Cool the stove to room temperature.
5. Light a third fire and gradually allow the stove to reach a
surface temperature of 400°
6. Cool stove to room temperature. This completes the “break-in”
procedure.

Then I would do one more fire outside and take the stove up to about 550 degrees to burn off any leftover oils.

BeGreen,

I was thinking after the recommended "break in" I would burn a few 500 degree fires to make sure all of the nastiness is gone.

I had probably 5 or 6 fires after the break in on the Nordic before the stove was able to be run without the smelly smoke.

J.P.

Wouldn't hurt. I'd just be anxious to get it inside and out of the cold and damp. But if you are warm and dry, go for it.

i just put in an oslo, and because it was installed for me i did the break in inside. the fumes were really not bad at all. there was a little bit of a smell, but it was taken care of by opening the windows. good luck.

ncmallard78 said:
i just put in an oslo, and because it was installed for me i did the break in inside. the fumes were really not bad at all. there was a little bit of a smell, but it was taken care of by opening the windows. good luck.

Was your stove enamel or flat black?

J.P.

Thats how I did mine.
It stunk up the whole lake area!
I put it out on the deck and made me a fire outside.
I just followed the manual...except I did it outdoors.
Gray

stove is not painted. fumes were no big deal. i would install it and do the break in burns inside. enjoy!

Outside break-in is an awesome idea. I have a Napolean 1150 that we'll have to break-in that way. Do you guys think it is truly necessary to follow the specific temperature recommendations of does the manufacturer suggest that as a way of gradually getting rid of fumes (thinking the break-in would occur indoors)?

Nice pictures btw.

timfromohio said:
Outside break-in is an awesome idea. I have a Napolean 1150 that we'll have to break-in that way. Do you guys think it is truly necessary to follow the specific temperature recommendations of does the manufacturer suggest that as a way of gradually getting rid of fumes (thinking the break-in would occur indoors)?

Nice pictures btw.

I would follow the manufactures recommendations. It is not so much the stink, but how it is curred that they are thinking about.

SmokinJoe said:
BrotherBart said:
You bet. Best way to do it.

Next time throw some cookie dough under there.

Nothin like fresh baked cookies to go with a little wood burnin.

MMMMM.

J.P.

Those darn sheet baking pans are my greatest find. I bought twenty some-odd of them for a buck apiece when a bakery here went belly up. I have used them for everything from drip pans in the garage to sliding wood stoves to covering the airspace between the rows of my wood pile so the cover doesn't sag from collected rain. And a dozen other things.

Love the darn things!

Status
Not open for further replies.