Break in temperatures Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rover47

Oct 2, 2006
Albany New York
Hi all, just purchased this neat little stove for my kitchen. The booklet says to break it in with five smaller fires getting progressively warmer. Anyone have an idea what temps they are talking about? I've burned it twice with a stack temp of just about 200 degrees. Jim in Albany NY.

They're not talking about "stack temps", i.e. the temperature of the pipe... Place your thermometer on the stove top just in front of the top flue outlet and measure it there.

I think they are relating less to stack temp than they are the size of the fire/wood load.

On that little beauty go for fires with 1,2,3,4 and then 5 splits and you should be fine.

GREAT little stove, we had one for years when I was a kid.

For breaking in the stove, put the thermometer right on top of the stove. This is the break in procedure for the 3CB, but I think it is generic enough for most new cast iron stoves:

Complete the following steps for the proper break-in procedure for the Jøtul F 3:
1. Light a small fire, newspaper and kindling only, only allow the stove to reach a maximum surface temperature of 200°. Burn for approximately 1 hour.
2. Allow stove to cool to room temperature.
3. Light a second fire, allowing the stove to reach a maximum temperature of 300° for 1 hour.
4. Cool the stove to room temperature.
5. Light a third fire and gradually allow the stove to reach a surface temperature of 400°
6. Cool stove to room temperature. This completes the “break-in” procedure.
Never allow the stove to exceed a 400° surface temperature during any “break-in fire” with the exception of the last “break-in” fire.

Note if the stove is not enameled there will be some smoke coming off of it during break in. Best to have a window and/or a door open nearby. This will go away with a couple normal temperature fires. With the enameled stoves, there will be a little smell, but not too bad.

I advise three fires not exceeding four hundred degrees top surface temperature and then letting the stove cool back off after each fire for cast iron stoves. After that normal burns. When you start the higher temp normal burns you will still be some paint curing smell for a couple of them as the temps go higher.

Edit: Appears me and BG were typing at the same time. Follow his advice.

Thanks, that was fast! (goofing of at work). I actually did have the thermometer on the surface the first burn. I will move it back there. I actually was doing the exact method you describe. The first fire was just some small pieces, the second a little larger. the second fire produced a lot less smoke from the paint etc. Thanks again Jim Randall

Status
Not open for further replies.