1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Breaking in an Oslo

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kitchen, May 24, 2013.

1. Kitchen

Kitchen New Member

Loc:
    Shawangunk Mountains, NYS
    Cold enough (40s) tonight to light my break-in fire for the new Oslo. I understand that you need 3 fires - 200 - room temp - 300 - room temp - 400 - room temp. Does the last break-in fire (400) need to be done right after the second one or can I wait until tomorrow to do the last fire. Or do they all need to be done consecutively. Inquiring minds want to know.......

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    When I broke in my Castine 12 years ago I did 3 consecutive fires . I believe the manual will confirm that method.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It won't hurt anything if you wait a few days before the last fire. If you didn't do it till the fall you might do a little extra just to be safe.
  4. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    When I recently did my break in burns with my new F600, which is a porcelain finish, I noticed the stove kept giving off smells each time I fired it a little hotter than the time before. It took several burns between 450F and 500F to finally get all the off gasses burned off.
  5. Coog

Coog Burning Hunk

Loc:
    North West Illinois
    When I burned off my 7100. I did it in 3 fires, each progressively hotter. No sure what the reprocusions are if you started with a hot fire, other than a lot of nasty gases all at once.
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Woodstock says to let the stove cool completely to room temp before the next break-in firing, and so does Jotul. When all else fails, read the manual. ;lol
    And I think that's stove top temp, not room temp. !!!
  7. Kitchen

Kitchen New Member

Loc:

Thanks everyone for the info. I did the three burns, following the manual and am now sitting in a toasty living room while it is 40 degrees outside tonight. BTW - I got very little gas odor with the Oslo's Blue/Black enamel.
  8. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Glad it went well. Post a pic of that beauty. Kitchen is your avatar a picture of your land?
  9. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Nice to be able to finally sit back, enjoy the results of your work, and soak up some heat on a cool night. :) It didn't get into the 40s here tonight but I fired up the previous two nights.
    The blue/black finish is gorgeous! :cool:
  10. Kitchen

Kitchen New Member

Loc:

Avatar is a picture of the Catskills Mountains from a farm down the road from me. I have the same view, minus the barn.

IMG_2278.JPG
  11. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Great looking stove! Fantastic view, as well. Thanks for sharing.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    40F at the end of May, what wacky weather we have. As you've noticed, the enameled Jotuls don't emit a lot of smell when breaking in. That smell is mostly with painted stoves. The paint outgases as it bakes in.

You're going to love the blue-black enamel. It keeps looking sharp year after year with just a quick towel wipe. Enjoy the new stove! It's a beauty.
    Kitchen likes this.
  13. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I can't quite see the stove top meter but I'm thinking you could probably run a bit hotter than that. ;)
  14. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    And of course as mother nature would have it, 70's & 80's to immediately follow.
    I burned last weekend, we had the low 40's too. This Friday the central A/C may grace us.