Breaking in the new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
:coolmad: Ironically enough, our latest snowstorm has delayed my install until next week
Anyway, I've read here a bit about a breaking in period for the stove. Do I need to be concerned about offgasing? I have pet parrots, so I'm pretty careful about fumes in my house.

Your going to have a strong paint curing smell for the first few fires. If you can, stick a piece of pipe in the stove and burn it outside before bringing it in.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
:coolmad: Ironically enough, our latest snowstorm has delayed my install until next week
Anyway, I've read here a bit about a breaking in period for the stove. Do I need to be concerned about offgasing? I have pet parrots, so I'm pretty careful about fumes in my house.

Congrats Kathleen, What did you end up with?

The first few fires can be hard on birds. Can you break in the stove at the dealers or outside?That is one question we ask on a new install( found out the hard way)

You may want to put up a plastic wall to separate the stove from your main living area- and open some windows near the stove. I installed a new stove last month, even though it is in the basement the smell migrated through the hardwood floors and I became ill. The off gas made the house smell for 3 to 4 days. Rather safe than sorry, save yourself and your birds the agony of breathing whatever is in the paint, who needs more air pollution anyway?

Yeah, don't have those birds in the house during the paint curing fires.

VCBurner said:
Congrats Kathleen, What did you end up with?
Thanks, I ended up with an Englander nc-13. I got it on a spring sale, which worked out well because the install was more involved and pricier than I had originally thought.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try to farm them out to friends for a few days.

Good choice. It should be a nice fit. Remember the stove, stovepipe and installation costs are eligible for the tax credit.

The stove will definitely smoke as the oils are burned off and the paint bakes in. Either have them deliver it a few days early and start some fires outdoors with a short temporary flue on it. Or expect that you will be burning the first few fires with the windows open. If the birds can be put in another room with the door closed, while the stove room has the windows open, that will probably work out ok. A fan blowing out the window will help exhaust the fumes. After the stove has had a chance to get hot (says 600 on the stove top) for a few hours, the outgassing will end.

I did our first 3 fires including a fairly hot one for the third outside. We have 5 birds and I have been totally paranoid since losing one of our 'tiels a few years ago to cyanide off-gassing from spray foam insulation. Definitely do the first fires outside, or send the fids for a little play time elsewhere. We have a budgie, Senegal, Greater Jardines, B&G and GW macaws. What birds do you have?

That stove's gonna look dreamy and perform well for you in a hearth stove installation. I hope you opted for a blower kit. Terrific to have when you want to run it, not so easy to install after the fact. You can always turn it off if you don't want it running. The paint curing fumes/smell should pretty much be gone after 3 or 4 fires of increasing intensity, which can be done in a day...if you've not a lot else to do. Some lingering reminders of the smell may come back to revisit as you push the stove temp higher after that, but it's really the first day or two of burning that can be kinda obnoxious. (I actually like the smell, but that's just me.) Rick

The snow has put off my install as well, so I've had time to do a few days worth of outdoor curing fires with a few sections of stove pipe stuck into the outlet. The fumes were pretty bad, glad I didn't do it inside, plus I learned some valuable lessons about starting and running my stove that would have resulted in some smoke in the house. Good luck, post up some pics when you get it all hooked up.

Thanks, I ended up with an Englander nc-13. I got it on a spring sale, which worked out well because the install was more involved and pricier than I had originally thought.
Thanks for the input. I think I’ll try to farm them out to friends for a few days.
Hey K,
When I rebuilt my old cast iron box and broke it in outside. Even after the break in fires you may get slight fumes for days. I broke my new to me Dutchwest in the basement last week. Basement windows open and three small kindling fires, one increasingly larger than the other. I allow the stove to cool off for a couple of hours between fires. The fourth fire I pushed it to the limit to fully cure the paint on the new pipe connector (otherwise you can smell the connectors curing for days.) If you do it outside it will cool off a lot quicker and you can have it done in about four hours. Mine took about 6-7.

I've been really curious about the Englanders after hearing all the good stories about them on this site. Please let me know how it works out and send us some pics. Good luck and have fun with it. Sounds like next winter will be alot warmer at your house!!!

Congrats on the stove Kathleen: your gonna love that little box. Just as a suggestion, if you want to burn outside first, you can get a couple of sections of the cheap snap together heating duct to make a temp stack from. They are just a couple of bucks apiece and should slip right into the pipe opening. We need some pics.

fossil said:
(I actually like the smell, but that's just me.) Rick

Lets see....
Old salty dog
Spent most of his time in the guts of big boats
Harley rider
Rebuilding an old pickup rod.

I'm surprised that you don't have candles set around the house that emit that smell. :lol:

Sounds like you have a nice little flock there ;) Give 'em some scritches for me.

Definitely do it outside. Get a couple of 3ft sections of single wall pipe to use as a temp chimney - they're cheap at HD. do 3-4 fires in increasing intensity and temp letting it cool each time for an hour or 2. The last one should be pretty hot - like normal operations - to get as much paint cured as possible. If possible use the first section of whatever pipe you're using if the installer can get it to you - it may cure a little or burn off any residue as well. You gotta remember just how sensitive the respiratory systems of birds are. Tiny amounts that you can't even smell can be harmful. When you do the first couple of fires in the house, keep some windows open as well. Ask questions of your installer about what chemicals he may be using - any kind of pipe cement etc. try not to use any spray foam insulation if you are going through the ceiling - just fiberglass or roxul. Don't be afraid to ask the installer to read labels on any products he's using.

Oh, and be careful moving the stove when it is outside. Give it time to cool down well before you try to move it inside, time for the bricks to cool so you can take 'em out before moving.

Most of all - pictures...

Jags said:
...Lets see....
Old salty dog
Spent most of his time in the guts of big boats
Harley rider
Rebuilding an old pickup rod.

I'm surprised that you don't have candles set around the house that emit that smell. :lol:

How do you know I don't? :coolsmile:

Congrats on the new stove Kathleen. You can join the ranks of happy Englander owners.

Btw, I would definately get those birds OUT of there. If you've got a place to put them, why risk it. My wife's freind recently lost both her birds to oven cleaner that her mom was using. She was devastated. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Al

Im also new and waiting for my Jotul Rockland 550 to be delivered and installed. I wasnt aware that there would be fumes for the first few fires. Im glad I stumbled on this conversation. That would have made me nervous.

ellipup said:
Im also new and waiting for my Jotul Rockland 550 to be delivered and installed. I wasnt aware that there would be fumes for the first few fires. Im glad I stumbled on this conversation. That would have made me nervous.

Yeah, there will be. Prep for it, and all will be fine. Fans, windows and doors will be your friend. Some seem to off gas more than others.

fossil said:

Cuz Yankee Candles quit making "ode of Tar Pit" years ago. It was replaced by "Sweet Two Stroke".

Jags said:
fossil said:

Cuz Yankee Candles quit making "ode of Tar Pit" years ago. It was replaced by "Sweet Two Stroke".

I make my own. Secret formula. :coolsmirk:

Great news on your stove, and an EXCELLENT question!!

We had Larry (Bird) for nearly 20 yrs.. He was a normal grey cockatiel and he was fully flighted. There is nothing more special than a bird that loves and trusts you, is there? He was laid to rest under some daffodil bulbs and I think of him every time they bloom.

Update on the "situation." I bought the stove from Lowe's but the install was being done by a local shop that sells some fab stoves. They were going to pick up the stove from Lowe's on the day of the install.

I emailed the installer last night to explain the situation and ask if they could deliver the stove a few days earlier. He emailed me back today to let me know he sent some guys over to Lowe's to pick it up and they brought it back to their shop to break it in. I'm thrilled!! I didn't think they'd want to provide that extra service because I didn't buy a stove from them.

If you were a hairy legged ole boy they would have dumped it on your porch. Still in the box. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.