1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Breaking my mauls

Post in 'The Gear' started by RobinJoe, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Huh...you may be on to something there, maybe try putting on some duck tape might help too.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RobinJoe

RobinJoe New Member

Maybe Kevlar.
  3. RobinJoe

RobinJoe New Member

I bought this Truper maul from Baileys, and I HATE it. http://tinyurl.com/3hzyku

When I swing it, it just bounces off oak. My Home Depot Ludell maul just slices right through the same log. I'm sure it's the shape of the head. You can see from the attached photo, the Truper on the left has a thick tip with about a 90 degree tip (look at the shadow). The Ludell, on the right, is much more tapered, and then flares out about 4" behind the tip.

Does anyone have a good experience with the Truper? Am I doing something wrong (again)? :)

I have received my Lopi Declaration fireplace insert, and I love it. I've burned about 4 fires so far even though it's not that cold out. The heat output is impressive, and I love watching the flames lick against the air supply tubes.

Joe

[quote author="RobinJoe" date="1223065276"]Never mind, I found it:
    http://tinyurl.com/4cbb5e

I'll probably go with the 6 lb version:
    http://tinyurl.com/3hzyku

I'll probably still strike it on occasion, but not as much.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    BTW, my Lopi Declaration arrives Monday.. lets hope I don't get tired of chopping wood.

Joe

Attached Files:

4. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    I use a monster maul (17lb) with the steel handle. No hitting it with another for me. If that sucker bounces, you know you are in for a workout. The don't make that one anymore, but you can still get a smaller one that will work. Get in and be happy for most of the wood. If you can't get through the center, start slicing around the sides until it is split. My manual steps or use the splitter.
    Chad
  5. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
  6. RobinJoe

RobinJoe New Member

When it first arrived, the very tip is sharp enough to cut yourself on, but after two or three strikes, that edge was gone. So it wasn't very safe when it arrived. It's much safer now that I've struck logs four or five times before giving up on it.

I would have to grind a heck of a lot of it off to make a difference, and I don't own a grinder.

Of course, sending it back is hardly worth the cost of shipping.
  7. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    breaking my mauls to " I fought the law"

breaking my mauls and the log won ???
  8. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Robin the mall on the left has to be ground down imo...about time you invest in an angel grinder too. Use your neighbors grinder in a pinch. Splitting mauls don't have to be axe sharp just sharp enough to get a bite into the wood and unload all the energy at the point of contact.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.