Breaking the myth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I just posted in BogyDave's thread that maybe it is time we bust the myth of my wood being all antique stuff. Well, yes there are times when we have lots of wood on hand and then there are also times when there is not so much wood on hand.

For example, we did have 7 years worth of wood on hand a short time ago and even earlier this year I think I posted that we had enough wood cut, split and stacked to take us into the year 2019. So, what about now? Assuming I have enough wood in the barn to burn this winter, still left in the stack is probably enough to go between 4 and 5 winters. So you see, there is not that much wood here at all but plenty for us.

Our cutting season usually begins December 1, then we split in the spring and stack right after splitting. I'd like to cut enough this winter for at least 3 years worth of burning. However, we'll no doubt sell some and no doubt give some away so it is difficult to know just how much wood we'll have on hand when this is all done.

There are a couple points I'd like to make here. First, there are many men on this forum who have much more wood on hand than we do and that makes me proud. Why? Because when I got on this forum there was not much talk about getting 3 years ahead on wood. People really did not understand the importance of putting up wood ahead of time. It really makes me happy now to see others quoting the 3 year wood supply and many have even more than that. Great!!!

Here is another point that we have touched on several times. Let's use Fire Chief Steve as a good example, and Steve is a good man. But Steve had a bad accident a little over a year ago and for sure he was not even sure he could ever cut wood again. But being the good man he is, he had a good supply of wood on hand. But what if he had not put up wood ahead of time? What would he do? In his case it would have been covered well but perhaps not in everyone else's case.

Ask yourself this question: What if I got hurt and could not put up wood for a year or more? Yes, what would you do, especially those who have only a year's worth of wood.

Okay, another case. I did not intend to post this but I too have had another accident and do not know if I will be able to cut wood this winter. What will happen if I can't? Well, first, I will no doubt get many offers where others will gladly come in to cut for us and for that we are very grateful. However, as you can tell, it will be no big deal if we can't cut this winter because we have plenty of wood on hand.

I will rest and quit harping on folks to get wood put up and give it the proper amount of time to dry when everyone gets at least 3 years ahead on their wood supply.

Oh yes, btw, I passed one wood stack just a short time ago and was reminded that there is still a full years worth of wood in that stack even after this winter. That wood was cut in the 2008-2009 winter and then split and stacked in April of 2009. We will burn that in the winter of 2013-2014. No, there is no wood shortage here.

Well I hope you are ok and I wish you a speedy recovery. You make a great point (as always ;)) about being several years ahead. I am 2+ and hoping to get to 3.

BWS, how do you keep track of the age of your stacks?. I mark mine with a magic marker, but it fades and I loose track of the age.

Jack, I've never marked them as I know when it was cut. Shoot, many times when I am bringing wood to the house I can remember the tree that wood came from and when I cut it. Not sure why, it is just there. However, I tend to stack each year's wood in different spots too but sometimes that gets bypassed as if oak needs more time in the stack we leave that and go to the next. Or it might depend upon what wood someone else wants if they buy. Not all want good dry wood, believe it or not!

You are the "gold standard" for having CSS well seasoned wood 2 to 3 (at least) years ahead, for many of us.
& explained well , with many reasons, why.

You also explain & show many "how to" and have many tips & tricks that are now used by many.

We have your picture on a "pedestal" in the "Fire Wood Cutters Hall of Fame" . ;)
So except it & move on.::P

Okay Dave and thank you.

Get well soon Dennis ! I very much believe your advice about getting ahead in wood supply incase of sickness,injury or other unfortunate incidents.That was drummed into me at a young age by older relatives as well.Same like saving for a 'rainy day',its comforting to have a backup when needed.

I stayed out of the woods at parents property for a few reasons until Aug 2010.Because of removing & cutting up several large trees on small property here in town from summer 2006 to spring 2010 (1 very large mostly dead American Elm,2 smaller ones in front yard +3 medium sized storm damaged Mulberries in back yard) I had plenty of wood for 2-3 yrs after that.Also due to working a tremendous amount of overtime & being at several large jobs until early 2010.

Except for cutting a small amount of deadfall & dropping 3-4 small snags in fall 2007 I did no cutting until Aug 2010.The woods needed major cleanup,so I started devoting 2-4 days monthly whenever I had spare time to that.All weather conditions,rain or shine,from 10 degrees to 90 above w/high humidity.Only time I didnt work was during high winds,lightning or in deep snow.From April 2011 to December 2011 I had 12 cords dead mostly Red/Black/White/Bur Oak c/s/s.And just under 4 more since then.

Not quite done yet,took a break during heavy snows last February & during the normal summer heatwave for a couple weeks.Still finding a little more every couple weeks,have 2 more snags to drop soon.Most all the stuff on the ground that's any good has been hauled in,what's easiest to access anyway.Loads more across the creek & way over the 2 very steep hills near south property fence,if I can ever get over there by any means other than walking,however.May see about talking to 2 different neighbors to use their access gates & park along the fence if possible.

Moral of this long story? Every little bit adds up,slowly but surely.I'm about 5-6 yrs ahead now pretty much,counting the 3 cords in backyard here in town.Others have said & I agree - its much easier to STAY ahead,than it is to GET THERE. >>

Sav, I hope your feeling better. If you were close enough the wife would be making you a nice apple cake.

Because of your post about getting enough wood c/s/s we will be 6 plus years ahead (pushing for seven).

Thanks
Zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
And I certainly know that your wife indeed knows how to make good cake! Tell her thanks and I'll think of you two when eating one of my wife's delicious cakes. She says she is going to make me either an angel food or chocolate chiffon cake. Which do I want? Both!

Reactions: Todd 2 and zap
And I certainly know that your wife indeed knows how to make good cake! Tell her thanks and I'll think of you two when eating one of my wife's delicious cakes. She says she is going to make me either an angel food or chocolate chiffon cake. Which do I want? Both!
If my wife could only have one she would take the chocolate chiffon.:)
zap

Answered Don't PM and thank you Don.

Zap, it is a tough choice between the two. Especially if there is whipped cream to put on them.

Reactions: zap
Your wood preaching is the root cause for Many Stacks on this Forum.

Not only did I get ahead, I became OCD about it!!!

I thank you many times over Dennis...

Get well my friend.

Dennis, Not to long ago when I joined this site I saw your 50 yrs + heating with wood, caught my attn and said this guy orta know a thing or two about some ways I can improve my stoves performance. I started reading about everything you posted, even the old stuff on here and let me tell ya your wood and stove preaching is some of
(rephrase that) most of the best ! My stove has never preformed better and hearing you talk about your woodstock stove was the biggest influence why I ordered one. So hopefully my friend you'll be OK , In the mean time, Keep on Preaching :)
Im working on my 3 year stash thanks to you and 1 thing I will never forget - You gave me my first "Like" Thank you Kind Sir. Todd 2

i really appreciate all the help you have given me, being new to wood burninga newbie couldnt ask for better advise and i thank you. i am more than willing to help you out this winter should you need it. thanks again savage

Hey Todd. Thank you. Although I don't remember that "like" I do remember most of the posts I've made and it really pleases me to know that they have helped someone. That, sir, is the reason I am on this forum.

Thanks Ed. We will get together one of these days.

Reactions: etiger2007
Dennis, I hope you're feeling better. Your posts, and other's, have helped me tremedously. I've learned so much here, that I don't think I would've been taught any where else.

Thanks Melissa. As stated before, this is the reason I am on hearth.com; to help a few others. Of course by doing so, I also am able to learn from others.

"I will rest";
"and quit harping on folks to get wood put up"
"and give it the proper amount of time to dry"
WHEN: everyone gets at least 3 years ahead on their wood supply."

Well for one, I will "not need harped on" soon, I'll be there
Thanks Dennis ;)

Assuming I have enough wood in the barn to burn this winter, still left in the stack is probably enough to go between 4 and 5 winters.

So you have no choice but to heal up soon,
in 2 to 3 years you'll need to get out there & process some wood :) :)

hope you get better soon. and this is the reason that you guys are so awesome. i never would be 3+ yrs ahead. when i was younger i would have thought it was crazy to cut wood til i needed it. thank you for your knowledge, and also it so good to be in a forum where people are so nice. bless you guys.

Dennis you are the reason everyone that comes to my house asks me " got enough wood?" My answer is "yes but I could always use more if you know where there is some". I started burning 4 years ago and the last 2 years have been way easier because I took your advice. I hope you get well.

Sorry to hear about the injury....you know by my other posts I am one who has been there myself. I have always been a planner on everything I do...make hay when the sun is shining is the way I have always looked at things. If you get ahead on your firewood you dont have to worry if things change. If you have the room and the time/ability/money...why not. I am not a full blown prepper but I am close...food, fuel, and protection....never hurts to be prepared.
Take care and take it easy...

Yes Dennis,, your harping about seasoned wood got me to get my ass in gear and get three years ahead, also thanks for the encouragement on my hip replacement, I believe Ill be back out cutting and scrounging much sooner than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.