1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Breaking the myth

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    That's all well and good, and I believe there is no such thing as "too much" firewood, but. . .

1) There is no species of wood in WA that takes 3 years to dry

2) I have to cut about 12 cord per year - 4 for me, 8 for my parents - and that's about all the time I have to devote to firewood. To haul in 36 cord in a year, even if it were available, is simply out of the question.

3) I'm thrilled you were able to get that off your chest.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    Gorgeous stacks!
    Backwoods Savage and tfdchief like this.
  3. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    point 3 seems kind of mean.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Woodchip, that is neat. I did not know I was the first to answer one of your posts and am happy that I did. Thank you.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Your doctor's name isn't James "Logan" Howlett by any chance . . . this could explain the pain as he is tapping your back with his "finger." :)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Dennis, alias BS....what can I say that has not already been said. I am honored that he used me as an example. And he is right. While I recovered from a broken back, I didn't worry about my wood supply, although, he, and many of my other friends on this forum offered to come cut wood for me......AMAZING! For those of you who are new to this forum and might take exception to strong advise from an old timer, beware, he has burned wood for a long time and deserves the the respect due that experience. Bottom line is, if you need a friend, they don't come any better than the Backwoods Savage! Just ask me.
  7. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Jack Straw and firecracker_77

Thanks! Your compliments most appreciated.
    Those are Dennis-inspired stacks. Heh!

Two years old now and I'm darned tempted to burn a few sticks.
    But they look so purty I'd hate to pull them apart...;)

[​IMG]
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Damn... Them are some beautiful stacks :)
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Says the man with his ocd stacked wood ;lol
    Backwoods Savage and DexterDay like this.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep.... I love some straight stacks!! LOL
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

One of my friends is burning birch I cut and split just a couple weeks ago. I "assumed" they would use it for next year, but I was there a bit ago and it was burning quite well in their fireplace. No hissing or anything.

Doesn't make any sense to me?!

I didn't get enough time this year to get much ahead on my wood, but I did cut/split alot of wood for customers.

Long term plan is to buy 10 cords of logs each year, keep 3-4 for me (whatever I used that winter) and sell the remainder. Will PAY for my heat and put about $400/year into my pocket.
    This year the $$ from firewood covered a used MS460 and a wood splitter.
  12. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Same here, Dennis. You were among the first, and your response made me feel welcome and put me at ease on the forum. And your extolling of the virtues of dry wood fired me up to do it right and finally get ahead on my fuel supply. Over the period of a couple of years I was able to stockpile at least six years' supply, plus a small cushion at three relatives' houses. I'm sure they thought I had gone 'round the bend with my fixation on getting more wood. But now there's been a change. I came across a good deal on a Buck 91 stove/insert that I'm installing at my MIL's house. It's replacing an old insert that was incapable of heating her three-generation family home. It's a nice place, but with no insulation and a few drafts it is very costly to heat to a comfortable temperature in all but a few rooms. Supplying the new stove with fuel will cut into my stockpile but at least we've got proper wood to feed it, and plenty of it. She'll have you to thank when she's cozy and warm this winter. :)
    I'm also preaching the dry-wood gospel to anyone who will listen, as I'm sure many others here also do. In this way, your influence extends beyond just those folks that read your posts here. :cool:

I'm sorry to hear of your recent mishap. You've toughed it out through challenging circumstances in the past and, if you have anything to say about it, I'm certain you'll do it again. Hopefully, with your tenacity and the support of a good woman, you'll be back in the saddle soon. You have my best wishes for quick and complete recovery. We're pullin' for ya! :)
  13. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    No problem. Just bear in mind where it came from.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Many, many thanks to all.