Breckwell 5520 Will not ignite, flashing #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovelyn

Feb 2, 2014
Laurel, In
We just purchased our pellet stove yesterday and must say not very familiar with it. It is used and the previous owner used it for one season, then it sat for about a year and half before we purchased it. We got it home, swept it out from the front, read the directions and started it per the manual.

It took it about 20 minutes for the on/off button to stop blinking but it eventually stopped with a nice flame. My husband turned it up to 4 to see how hot he could get. Then the fan kicked on. It was producing a nice flame with heat and the auger was moving pellets into the burnpot. Then the pellets started overflowing somewhat and spilling into the ash pan. Then the stove started making a high pitch whining/humming sound. I don't think the overflow problem and humming sound are related, but I could be wrong. It ran like that for about 10 minutes then it it clicked off, dousing the flame basically and then the #2 light started to blink. We referred back to the manual for troubleshooting. We have ran through the list of possible problems but still haven't gotten anywhere. The auger is fine and will feed pellets into the burnpot but the the stove won't ignite and the on/off button will not flash and then after about five seconds it clicks off, flashing number two. We have cleaned out the combustion blower the best we can without taking it off. At this point we don't think it's a vent problem since we can't the stove running again. Also we adjusted the damper per the manual suggestions.

Also it smells like smoke, really bad, but it doesn't seem to fill the room with smoke, which we thought that was weird. After reading some reviews and a few forums on here we realize that we have to get a new seal kit for the door and fix the ash pan door to stop the air leaks.

We are used to burning wood/gas so this is new to us. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Could well have been a fan giving its death scream:( Have you confirmed the exhaust fan is working properly? Room air fan probably needs to work good to take off the heat otherwise the over temp switch shuts everything. Would start with making sure the exhaust fan works. Stove are like CPR, Airway, breathing and circulation or stove terms, venting, exhaust fan and room air fan.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Should have researched before purchase,poorly made stove,trouble plagued,low heat output.Remove and check combustion blower,as bio says.

I have this stove. Take some time to learn this stove. It has issues, but you can make it work. Please read all my posts and get the seal kit from US Stove (fix add -on). You cannot run this stove on 4. Start the stove on 1 or 1 with high trim. You need to run air usually full open or almost full open. The stove will run good on 1 all the time. You can run the stove on 2 for maybe 4-6 hours and then set back to 1. You can run it on 3 for maybe 1 hour max. You need to make sure the door and ash draw are sealed very good (read my posts). Make sure your air inlet flow is good (you can feel the draw with your hand). The exhaust should feel strong on the outside (again check with your hand). You should not get any smoke in the house - if you do, then you must have a leak in the burn chamber somewhere. You may need a new combustion fan. How many hours on your stove? I have about 2000 hours on my stove - running original fans. I clean my burn pot 2 time a day - morning and night - it only takes about 2 minutes to empty out into a metal sealed hot ash can. Jeff

Page 17 of the manual states to remove the two clean out plates on each side of the burn pot housing and clean rear chamber. Has that been done? I usually use a cheap dryer lint brush and attach a hose to my shop vac mini attachment nozzle and get as far up, down and around the internal exhaust path. If using a shop vac, make sure you allow enough cooling time. I have a drywall bag in mine. Have the plates been replaced and snugged down? You should also get a gasket and pull the combustion blower to clean, oil with electric motor oil. Also check the vacuum tube for ash blockage or cracking. May help to cure pellet overflow.

I agree with bioburner, the screech and smoke smell may have been the death call from the convection blower. Clean and oil and try again - you may have tripped the high limit switch and needs a reset by pushing in button (follow orange wires per wiring diagram).

Let us know how you make out...

Status
Not open for further replies.