Breckwell Big E blowing fuse and won't ignite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf0

Mar 6, 2011
Epping Nh
My Big E has been running great for years. Recently the convection motor seized and I didn't realize it for a couple hours. Anyway it was still operating normally except for the convection fan. I shut off the stove and lubricated the fan and it began turning normally. When I turned the stove back on, after 30 seconds when the convection motor usually starts, the fuse on the control board blows. I narrowed it down to the High Tep Thermo disk and jumped those two wires together bypassing the disk. When I did that the fuse on the control board did not blow anymore, the convection motor came on after 30 seconds and the auger is turning. Unfortunately although all these things are running I don't get any ignition off the igniter. Would bypassing the thermo disk cause the igniter not to work or is it looking like the control board all together, or the thermo disk? But what are the chances that the Thermo disk and igniter would go at the same time?

check to see if your getting power to the ignitor, if not,, then most likely it is the control board. if there is signal, then the ignitor is theissue. I know that if there is a short to ground on the ignitor, that would blow the fuse, which sounds like what m,ight be happening. the unit turns on, after a few seconds, sends signal to the ignitor & then shirts out.
I am not a pellet expert but I am an electrical tech.

did you bypass the hopper disc (overheat relay) or the proof of fire disc (commonly found on the exhaust housing)? If the later, then by jumping it the stove thinks its on all the time, probably won't key the igniter since that switch proves fire when closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.