Breckwell Big E convection blower whine fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman460

Apr 30, 2008
SE Nebraska
FYI, my Big E developed a whine from the convection blower after running for awhile. After checking the blower wheel, making sure it was all clean, I removed the blower motor and wheel housing from the unit, removed the motor, and dis-assembled the motor. Turns out the bearing furthest away from the blower wheel had gotten hot, and was basically toast. I purchased a new bearing for $10, put it all back together and I'm on my way.

Just an FYI, if your convection motor is whining and oiling it doesn't help, look at replacing the bearing. Saves the cost of a new motor.

The bearing is a size 608 sealed bearing (8mm ID x 22mm OD x 7mm wide).

My $.02.

Pat

I don't know why you couldn't do this same fix on other blower motors, assuming the motor is still running fine (except for the bearing noise) and you are fairly mechanically inclined. Heck even taking the motor out and taking it to a shop has got to be cheaper than a new motor.

i know its been a while on this post but where did you get the bearing and was it hard to put in. a local motor place rebuilt it and a week later rebuilt it and now a 1/3 season in it is going again. tried oiling but is sealed bearing.

hfdsquad1 said:
i know its been a while on this post but where did you get the bearing.....
A quick search of the yellow pages online in your area should show plenty of local bearing supply houses. Since you already have the bearing size listed above, you might even find one that will do mail-order.

Status
Not open for further replies.