Breckwell Big E issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorilinn

Jan 22, 2014
Sidney Maine
I have had my pellet stove for almost three years now and have noticed that there are two major issues with it. One is the auger gets clogged from the pellet sawdust and has to be vacuumed until the extra pellets and sawdust permit the auger to move freely with the touch of my finger.
the second is when cleaning out the ash bin I have to make sure the igniter holes are clear as well.
the new issue that is starting that was not told to me when I purchased the stove is that the stovepipe will need to be cleaned yearly to prevent soot buildup and smoke coming inside. I wish it had been made with a battery backup system for when you lose electricity you lose heat! Other than that the stove is wonderful!

Try a different pellet, Clean the burn pot once a week, and yes, the vent needs regular cleaning. Try vacuuming out the auger before the season starts so less likely to jam when it's cold

Try a different pellet, Clean the burn pot once a week, and yes, the vent needs regular cleaning. Try vacuuming out the auger before the season starts so less likely to jam when it's cold
Yes thank you! I have tried many different kinds of pellets the ones that seem to do best and low ash are the ones Maine made the ones made on MD and TN seem to be not as tightly compressed /burn quicker/and have higher ash output.

I have a BigE and have not had any auger jam issues to date after 3 years. The hopper/auger only get cleaned at the end of the heating season when I empty out any left over pellets and prepare for spring/summer.

I have a BigE and have not had any auger jam issues to date after 3 years. The hopper/auger only get cleaned at the end of the heating season when I empty out any left over pellets and prepare for spring/summer.
My family has 3 Big-E stoves(Mother, Brother and me) since 2008. All have had augers jam packed with pellets, fines. Easier to clean once a year in the spring, instead of the middle of the night like we had to do for my mom recently, when pellet feed stopped!

Status
Not open for further replies.