Breckwell Big E not heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big E

Feb 3, 2012
My parents called and can't get any heat out of it. My Brother's, mine and theirs are identical. The only difference is mine and my brothers have 6-7 feet vertical rise before the horizontal to the outside . Theirs is straight horizontal to the outside. I was guessing maybe the wind is blowing back on the pipe causing the combustion blower to work harder? I will check the feed rates Friday .I replaced the combustion blower and control board last year and door gasket last week. Any Big E owners have any suggestions?

When was the last time is was thoroughly cleaned? Do you clean behind the plates at the bottom of the ash box? What does the flame look like?
A straight out the wall, with no rise exhaust is not ideal but, should not cause any issue with heat output.

X2, Make sure it is clean, but if the room blower is not working, you will not get much heat.

If that is the case, check the room blower with an AC cord, check the low limit switch on the exhaust blower housing. You can make a jumper and jump it out.

Mine was a straight out horizontal install of about 2' with no issues for 2 years. When you say no heat, does it start up and burn normally? Does it blow any air out of the heat exchanger?

I always make sure it has been thoroughly cleaned before any diagnostics. Always remove access plates as well. Comes on and lights but doesn't feel like it's hot. I will check it tomorrow with a heat gun. Convection blower was replaced 2 seasons ago...I am at a loss, mine is burning just like new. Thanks for the suggestions, I will search for the answer and post it when I do.

Ok, thorough cleaning, new combustion blower and housing gasket, cleaned convection motor, cleaned pipe. made sure air hose was clear. Discovered that switch on control panel was set to T-Stat high. put it back on manual and works like a charm. Thanks for all the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.