Breckwell Big E Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williamgardner

Feb 7, 2007
www.catamountaccess.com
Have had a Breckwell Big E for a year and a half. Has been very reliable thus far but recently the room air blower shuts off. I thought it was a high heat sensor but, it only shuts off when running on the # 4 setting and will shut off any where from 20 - 40 minutes after start. The weird thing is when it shuts off, the convection fan, auger, and combustion fan still works. I even went outside to check to see if exhaust was still coming out of the vent. How can the room air blower stop, and the combustion blower still work, arent they the same motor? The blower will come back on after about 15 minutes. Any thoughts?

Is this when starting up the stove cold? Does the fan eventually stay running?

The combustion and convection fans are not the same motor. It sounds like either A) the snap disk that control the turning on of the convection fan is going, or B) there is ash buildup near the location of that switch, or C) the room air is so cold that the stove is taking a lot of time to come up to temperature, then it runs for a bit until the stove cools down to the point where the snap switch is not calling for the fan to turn on. I would check out A and B first, assuming this is not heating a cold shop or basement.

Mine did the same thing just would not go to high when opersting the stove on high/low setting with the stove set on #4 high #2 low .Fan worked fine while on manual .Switched back to high /low and has worked fine for the last few days. I think it might have been a brain cramp on my part as I did not look to see if stat was calling for high heat .Hope that was the problem because I don't want to start replacing parts after two years.

thanks for the quick reply. Ill go through the process. Start up, goes fine. Ignition, good fire. Heats up enough to start fan. Runs fine for 25-30 minutes. The fan goes off, but the stove still operates as if the fan was still running. Its weird because yu would nver know it if you wernt paying close attention. I first noticed it because I walked by it and didnt feel the usual fan on. I kinda freaked out and tried to trouble shoot. I thought the stove entered a shut down function. But the green light still on (solid) the "auger still "augering" and both convection and combustion fans operating. I just let it run like this for an additional 20-25 minutes and eventually the room fan came back on. I noticed the combustion gasket looked pretty rough during normal maintenance, could this be the problem? It not heating a cold shop or basement just my cold house. Again, the stove runs fine, the only thing of notice is the room blower shuts off on the # 4 setting after running for 25 or so minutes.

Is the stove and especially it's heat exchanger clean?

If yes, consider replacing the convection blower snap switch. Should be a $10 part.

Are you using a thermostat with the stove ?What setting are you using your stove on high/low , on /off or manual?Room fan will go to low setting if you are using a stat while on the high /low setting when stat has been satisfied and not calling for heat.

Have you Emailed Breckwell with your problem? I have Emailed their tech support numerous times and have always recieved answers to all of my questions.Good luck.Sorry I could not be of any help.

williamgardner said:
Im not using a thermostat, so I use the manual setting. And it has worked fine on this setting up to this point.

William

Did you ever fix your Big E??

JW

I have a big e and i am on my third room air fan, they get so hot that they shut down for 20 min, then they work again.tried to order one and was told that they are redesigning them so everybody is on backorder!

Maybe I can help. Call me, I will be in the Kinsman Store this morning unless something comes up.

Eric
330-876-0200

hemidude13 said:
I have a big e and i am on my third room air fan, they get so hot that they shut down for 20 min, then they work again.tried to order one and was told that they are redesigning them so everybody is on backorder!

I got the Re Desined one last year when my fan died.it took them(breckwell) one week to get it to me.hope yours comes in soon. there allot better then the original.

hemidude13 said:
Thank to all who replied, i have one on order hope it comes in before the cold north wind blows!

that's Great news!! My new fan(last season) was better then the one it came with.it seemed to blow more and was quieter.

make sure you post whether or not the new blower solves your shutoff problem. it could be that the old one has an internal impedance protector that reads too low, if the motor gets too hot while running this interrupts power at the blower, once it cools its back up and running , however this would be a cyclic thing , run a while, stop, run a while,stop...

Status
Not open for further replies.