breckwell big e problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

5delta1

Oct 31, 2010
portland ct
hi have had issue with stove since second year(6 th year now) seems the control panel sometimes does not respond. had convection blower rebuilt last year also. but go to press high fan of heat level and nothing changes seems like thing has mind of its own ?

Could be one of 2 things.

When they rebuilt the blower they may have changed the motor from a shaded pole to a Split Phase Capacitor type motor. The control will NOT vary the speeds on a SPC motor. It will only control the speed on a shaded pole motor. The SPC motor will run at full rpm all the time. If there is a capacitor on the new mtor that the issue.

Second is the control is falling on you. The triac might be getting weak?

Most people do not bother fixing the controls they just go get a new one. But us tinkerers do fix them, But you need some special tools to remove the bad components.

New control is about $250 to $300 and a new blower is cheap see link.

http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/4053

the motor does vary just the controls are not responsive at times. have to unplug or shut down or both. sometimes it resets sometimes it doesnt. seems like it took only after warranty expiration for control board to act out then found motor place to rebuild blower motor(twice bearing went shortly ,like 1 week, after 1st rebuild. second time around seems ok for now but not as good as oem

Do you have the stove plugged into a surge suppressor? And you do unplug it during the summer month right. :wink:

Its the control panel then. I sent you a PM.

I've had my stove since 2005 , and this year , and in reality the past three my convection blower has not been working correctly. It would sometimes not work at all , then start working after I turned off stove. Or would not go to high fan automatically , only going to high fan by pressing high fan button. This year it was real buggy , not even going to high fan when I would press the manual high fan button. Called Eric at Kinsman Stoves and he recommended that my control board was bad. So I had him order me one , and now the problem is gone. And man my control board must of been real bad , because my stove has not put out this amount of heat since it was brand new. I think none of my fan speeds were working correctly with my old board for quite a while. Yes they would change speeds , but no where they should of been. Jusy my $.02.

buildingmaint said:
......Called Eric at Kinsman Stoves and he recommended that my control board was bad. So I had him order me one , and now the problem is gone.......
Eric is the MAN when it comes to Breckwell stoves.

Here is something that a lot of people do not know about...even Breckwell dealers. Generally speaking when we hear complaints like this, it is resolved by cleaning the stove and exhaust pipe. Here is the explanation.
Anytime that the air switch deactivates, the unit goes into a 30 second default mode of operation. During that default mode, the control panel will not accept any commands from the control panel. This default is built in so that you can open the door if needed for short periods...maybe to wipe off the glass or stir the burnpot. So long as negative pressure is restored within 30 seconds, the unit will continue to run and not shut down with a blinking #2.

However, if the stove or exhaust is dirty, or perhaps a bad door gasket, the stove may be hovering in and out of acceptable negative pressure limits. The air switch is activating and deactivating continually putting the stove into that 30 second default and as such, it is not accepting commands from the control panel.

For testing purposes only, simply bypass the air switch. If you do not experience the same problem then you know it is a simple negative pressure issue. If you still have the same problem, then it is indeed related to the control panel.

Don't forget to reconnect the air switch though when you finish testing.

imacman said:
buildingmaint said:
......Called Eric at Kinsman Stoves and he recommended that my control board was bad. So I had him order me one , and now the problem is gone.......

Thanks,

I live my life to serve others.

kinsman stoves said:
imacman said:
buildingmaint said:

Thanks,

I live my life to serve others.
with reward$? = prior post i found very worthy & u didnt acknowlege it?

Status
Not open for further replies.