BRECKWELL BIG E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foldsct

Jul 25, 2008
Tolland County, CT
I am new to this, so I need help!

I have a Breckwell that we installed a few weeks ago. Now, my house is FREEZING!!!

I have a 1200 sf ranch, with approx 600 sf finished in the basement. The stove is in the basement..........but neither the basement nor the house are warm! I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Granted, it is very cold here in CT right now, but I don't understand what's going on. I have the thermostat up to 85..........and it's not anywhere near that! The stove is barely putting out any hot air! The cast iron is cold, and the exhaust pipe is also cool.........

Can anybody give me hints as to what I can do? I was so excited about this stove, but something's up.......it's completely ineffective right now!

Thanks so much!!

Eleanor

That's all I need to do??

Are you serious?

Elle goes downstairs to do exactly what she's told...............

Ok........how do I adjust the room air fan? Yes, I've been reading the owner's manual, but can't find that.

Thank you for all the help!! I need it!!

Make sure you shut the stove off, then change it to manual and turn the stove back on. Don't worry about the room blower, put the heat on #3 or #4 and you will be toasty in no time

StoveMiser said:
Make sure you shut the stove off, then change it to manual and turn the stove back on. Don't worry about the room blower, put the heat on #3 or #4 and you will be toasty in no time

Uh oh.........I didn't turn the stove off when I changed it.

Did I do something really bad?? Now I know................ :bug:

And I can feel a difference already.....before this I could touch the stove and the exhaust pipe and they weren't hot at all.

Can't touch them now......

Will this heat my upstairs? How many of you have put vents in your floors? I do have fans going.......but am worried about the heat making it upstairs.

No I'm sure you didn't do anything bad, but usually the stove won't accept the new setting unless its turned on in that mode.

Not sure about moving the heat upstairs. Ours is on the first floor and it heats the entire level well. There are six rooms and the coldest is 69 degrees right now with the stove running on #4. It has been in the low 20s here all day.

I Have a Breckwell Big E as well. I can't get the room that it's sitting in over 62 degrees. Breckwell Tech support sent me 2 plates for the firebox with absolutely no instructions where they went. When I finally figured out where they went I fired up the stove and had it going all night and when I woke up in the morning the room was 52 degrees. Not only that but the stove must have gone thru at least 40# of pellets. Now I'm having a hard time getting tech support to call me back. Can only leave a message and wait for them to hopefully call back. By this time I'm ready to return the stove if I don't get some good heat out of this soon.

Have you read the manual or called your dealer?
What position is the toggle switch at on your control panel?

Eric

I've been over the manual several times. My setting is on manual as I'm not running it with a thermostat. I've called Breckwell several times and each time I have to wait 24-48 hours as they don't take your calls directly - you have to leave a message. Sometimes they don't call back at all and I have to leave another message.

When I put it on manual, it worked fine last nite.........I think it must be the thermostat!

Can I run it on manual? Am I hurting it? What do people do during the day when you're at work??

Thanks, everybody!!!

foldsct said:
When I put it on manual, it worked fine last nite.........I think it must be the thermostat!

Can I run it on manual? Am I hurting it? What do people do during the day when you're at work??

Thanks, everybody!!!

I leave it on when i'm not at home.try #3 and see if you like it.

With the manual?

I'm still learning........I hope I"m not annoying anybody........I have read the manual, but it doesn't tell you all this info!

foldsct said:
With the manual?

I'm still learning........I hope I"m not annoying anybody........I have read the manual, but it doesn't tell you all this info!

I think that's part of the manufacturer "DEALER SUPPORT"

foldsct said:
With the manual?

On Manual Yes

Where did buy the stove? Talk to your dealer before calling Breckwell.

Eric

mdelmonte said:
I bought it online. The story they're giving me is once the stove is hooked up it's Breckwell's problem.

Who is "they". I am a dealer and have to fight for support. Good luck

Eric

Not saying I told you so but..............

Save a few hundred bucks and not have a working product is what kind of savings. What is going to happen with your warranty? Where are you going to get parts? How fast is it going to take? That is a question that is raised on this site every couple days.

I have been waiting months for certain parts and that is as a Dealer. All my customer's stoves are working. I do have a few stripped down floor models but my customers are all up and running.

Buyer beware
Eric

I just went to the website and saw the Breckwell stoves. My Big E is $2000 and my Cast is $2240.00. Their vent kit is over $250 than mine. I do not ship my stoves. So much for savings.

Eric

I live in CT, and the Big E goes for a lot more than that!!!!

How come you aren't here? :red:

Eric

Whats the logic behind breakwell under cutting its dealer's on-line???

Status
Not open for further replies.