BRECKWELL BIG E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside temp was 22 when I got home and I ran the heat setting on 4 all night and it was 65 downstairs and 65 upstairs. So it looks like Ill have to use my furnace some. Dont know whether its going to be worth it or not, having to use both for most of the season. well see.

unkuthz said:
Outside temp was 22 when I got home and I ran the heat setting on 4 all night and it was 65 downstairs and 65 upstairs. So it looks like Ill have to use my furnace some. Dont know whether its going to be worth it or not, having to use both for most of the season. well see.

That stove has issues. It was 22 degrees in n/e with wind last night and we ran the stove to cover 1450 sqft of an addition (2 floors) and on level 2 it was 72 downstairs and 68 upstairs. The breaker on the furnace is flipped so it can not work if it wanted too.

Please check to make sure the toggle switch is in the "manual" position.

Call me this afternoon around 3 pm or 4 pm

Eric
330-876-0200

And yet another learning curve last nite.........talk about dumb!

I guess my stove built up a "clinker" in the burn pot.......I cleaned out the ash last weekend, but didn't clean out the burn pot. The stove kept shutting off and I was pretty upset last nite because I couldn't figure out why!!

After a couple phone calls to the friends who installed this and have owned a pellet stove for over 8 years, they figured it out. Talk about feeling dumb!! LOL

Is this normal, or did I miss doing something? Now I know to make that a part of my weekend cleaning on this stove........I guess I'm lucky with mine, I don't have the rattles yet that people have talked about and my stove isn't that noisy.... I have my furnace off, still use it for hot water, but I'm hoping to change that next year and my house is comfortable. I still have to figure out how to move the heat thru the house better because you can physically feel it sitting on the stairs STOPPED.

Also--my thermostat wasn't working.........could that have been from the ashpot being filled up and clogged???

foldsct said:
And yet another learning curve last nite.........talk about dumb!

I guess my stove built up a "clinker" in the burn pot.......I cleaned out the ash last weekend, but didn't clean out the burn pot. The stove kept shutting off and I was pretty upset last nite because I couldn't figure out why!!

After a couple phone calls to the friends who installed this and have owned a pellet stove for over 8 years, they figured it out. Talk about feeling dumb!! LOL

Is this normal, or did I miss doing something? Now I know to make that a part of my weekend cleaning on this stove........I guess I'm lucky with mine, I don't have the rattles yet that people have talked about and my stove isn't that noisy.... I have my furnace off, still use it for hot water, but I'm hoping to change that next year and my house is comfortable. I still have to figure out how to move the heat thru the house better because you can physically feel it sitting on the stairs STOPPED.

Also--my thermostat wasn't working.........could that have been from the ashpot being filled up and clogged???

Check the batteries in the Tstat. They need to be fresh and not the off brand ones, they tend to burn out fast. What position is your toggle switch in?

A clinker should not shut the stove off. Open your damper more to do away with the clinker. You need to "play" with the damper. It is not a set and forget function.

I sent you a PM with my phone number is you want to call. I have to go to the warehouse in a few minutes but will be here this afternoon.

Eric
330-876-0200

Eric,

I am going to take you up on your offer and call you. I'm sure once this is set up right it should be ok........I hope. Lol

Thank you so much for your offer........I will talk to you later.

Eleanor

No PM yet...........what number can I reach you at?? Thank you!!!!!

After 1 pm

Eric
330-876-0200

I have to tell you, aside from the rattling the stove does on the "3" setting and substandard pellets (that I was lucky to get), I couldn't be happier with my Big E. I have a 2-story house, with the stove set up in the living room. The "2" setting makes it pretty comfortable (about 64-68 degrees) throughout the downstairs and about 60 degrees upstairs. I have to turn the stove down to "2" or sometimes even "1" at night because with the bedroom door open the "3" setting makes it too hot to sleep at night. The downstairs temperature on the "3" setting can get as high as 80 degrees, but it is usually at 76 or 78. I haven't run my stove at "4" yet, but I am sure I will have to. It was very cold here in northern Maine this morning, with a wind chill of below zero. Granted, I did a lot of winterizing...I put in new insulated windows last year and tore off an addition to the house that was poorly built and a HUGE heat loss (I even had snow on the floor in there during bad snowstorms - that can't be good, can it?). I weatherstripped around the doors and I keep the doors to the unused bedrooms and the basement closed. After installation, I didn't really touch anything on the control panel, just left it at the factory settings. I do mess with the damper to get the flame the way I want it. After reading this and other posts, I am very thankful that I have had no major problems with my stove.

I have yet to touch the damper.......I'm hesitant to touch any of the settings, because I truly do NOT know what I'm doing yet.

Overall, I've been pleased with the stove as well. Except for the "clinker" scare of last nite, it's been doing fine! Like most, I do need to figure out moving the heated air around the house, but for now it's fine in this cold weather which is like mid-January here in CT. I do wonder if it's economical with the cost of oil coming down, but I also think it's cleaner to burn as well.

And.........it's pretty to look at. And the cats have been found on top of it, which I am not happy with. They'll learn, I figure.

[
And.........it's pretty to look at. And the cats have been found on top of it, which I am not happy with. They'll learn, I figure.[/quote]

Its the wood stove then need to worry about lololo

yeah, and there's no wood stove here!! LOL

dummy cats. Good thing they're cute.

However, they are figuring out that this heat thing isn't bad. I put a cat tree near the stove, about 10 feet away thinking they'd stop sleeping with me and start sleeping downstairs near the fire. I have 7, so the bed can get crowded.......

Nah, that hasn't happened at nite, but they are sleeping there during the day!!! LOL

foldsct said:
yeah, and there's no wood stove here!! LOL

dummy cats. Good thing they're cute.

However, they are figuring out that this heat thing isn't bad. I put a cat tree near the stove, about 10 feet away thinking they'd stop sleeping with me and start sleeping downstairs near the fire. I have 7, so the bed can get crowded.......

Nah, that hasn't happened at nite, but they are sleeping there during the day!!! LOL

We have two and the newest one sleeps in front of the wood stove or in the window next to it.if this one chases the older one he is put down stairs where he sleeps in front of the big e.so much for being punished lolol

Punish?? You can punish a cat?? LOL

Just finished cleaning out the stove............and from last nite to today another clinker was there.

Why am I getting a clinker in 24 hours? Is it the pellets? Is it the settings? hmmmm..............

foldsct said:
Punish?? You can punish a cat?? LOL

Just finished cleaning out the stove............and from last nite to today another clinker was there.

Why am I getting a clinker in 24 hours? Is it the pellets? Is it the settings? hmmmm..............

True very truelolo I get clinkers like that also.i think its the pellets(or whats in them) and the air going into the pot. Just take the burn pot out and clean it.its easy with the big e.

It's very easy to get them out!

Ok.........I can handle that. As long as the settings and all that are ok, I can take a clinker out a day. The settings are still set from the factory, so I'm assuming they're right.

Oh, this is work! LOL Someday I'll get it figured out........it's only been 3 weeks.

Patience, right?

OK...it's 10:30 am in northern maine...about 1 inch of snow on the ground and still snowing (why didn't I go hunting this morning?), my stove is set at "3", and my thermometer reads 79 degrees. Ahhhhhhhh! I love this stove!

PS - Don't throw these words up into my face if I am on here later this winter begging for help to fix some malfunction!
;-)

foldsct said:
It's very easy to get them out!

Ok.........I can handle that. As long as the settings and all that are ok, I can take a clinker out a day. The settings are still set from the factory, so I'm assuming they're right.

Oh, this is work! LOL Someday I'll get it figured out........it's only been 3 weeks.

Patience, right?

It takes a season to get the hang of it.

foldsct said:
good.

I'm not as retarded as I've been feeling! LOL

I didnt sleep for two weeks when i first got her.

foldsct said:
I have yet to touch the damper.......I'm hesitant to touch any of the settings, because I truly do NOT know what I'm doing yet.

Overall, I've been pleased with the stove as well. Except for the "clinker" scare of last nite, it's been doing fine! Like most, I do need to figure out moving the heated air around the house, but for now it's fine in this cold weather which is like mid-January here in CT. I do wonder if it's economical with the cost of oil coming down, but I also think it's cleaner to burn as well.

And.........it's pretty to look at. And the cats have been found on top of it, which I am not happy with. They'll learn, I figure.

I like cats, they taste like chicken.....Just kidding

You need to use the damper. That is the rod on the left side of the stove. When you run it on #1 have it almost all the way in. When you go to a higher level pull it out a little more but not all the way. It take a little time to get used to it buit you will like the stove much more. This WILL keep you from getting clinkers.

Did you get the rake with your stove. You need to scrape the burn pot a couple times a day with the rake. You do not need to turn the stove off to do this. The other end of the rake has a hole in it. This is used to pull the heat exchanger rod. Do that 2-3 times a day. You will also need to wipe your glass once or twice a day. Again you do not have to turn the stove off for this but be quick or it will go into a shut tdown mode after 20 seconds with the door open.

Now class this concludes this lesson on the Big E.

Eric

Eric,

Are you available to talk now?

And please.......give me classes ANY TIME!! I need them!

There is so much to learn and I know it will be worth it. It's just getting there!

Thank you so much!!

Elle

yes
330-876-0200
Eric

good.......cause if I'm going to play with the damper, I'd rather talk to you and tell you what the settings are!

Call you in a couple minutes......I have to feed the cats!! LOL

New member, with hopefully an old problem. I can't seem to go 24hrs. without the burnpot loading up with ashes/pellets. The manuel said to only stir the pot daily and empty it weekly. I had the unit professionally installed and have been in contact with the dealer. My final solution was to open the dampner all the way, it is on heat setting 3 and I am burning Lignetics hardwood premium pellets and in the morning it was filled up again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Home Heater said:
New member, with hopefully an old problem. I can't seem to go 24hrs. without the burnpot loading up with ashes/pellets. The manuel said to only stir the pot daily and empty it weekly. I had the unit professionally installed and have been in contact with the dealer. My final solution was to open the dampner all the way, it is on heat setting 3 and I am burning Lignetics hardwood premium pellets and in the morning it was filled up again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stir your pot a couple times a day and open the damper

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.