breckwell Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guysr

Jan 3, 2007
Have a chemical smell coming from the area near the combustion blower also a lot of air is passing through seems to be near the armature on the blower fan but not sure is this possible or any other thoughts ... By the way new to this and don't know if this is the correct way to post . If not would like some help on how to post correctly
Guysr

Is the unit new? If so you just curing the paint and all the oils from manufacturing. Perfectly common.
I doubt its the combustion blower.
How close is the vent to a window or a ventalated soffit? What are you burning for fuel?

The best way to find out about breckwell problems and causes is to call 1-8.......... naw I'm just kidding ya just saw this in another post ;-P I'm sure the dealers here can help you as well if not better than that #
You're posting right.
but describe the smell and a brief description such as setup, how old, etc.....

If the stove is NEW you will be getting oil burn off.

Are you the same GUY that email me about a CONVECTION blower?

nope never inquired about convection blower.. but I am the guy who gave you the techs number I talked to them and they are at a loss about the problem the stove is on 2nd season only thing done was clean up and change gasket on blower. can burn on #2 no smell but when I turn it to #3 it permeates the room . not smoke like I said chemical smell changed gasket again but still problem .. only thing I see is the armature on the combustion blower seem to be browning up If I block it on top of the armature smell seems to disapare but if I block from bottom smell appears to be more noticable from top of carboard..Nothing else has any thing to cause chemical smell like I said..also checked the auger armature and that is still like a white or cream color.. thats about it .. Going to try new combustion blower and see . Design of the one that is in there is terrible.. so at a loss..
guysr

Sounds like to me that it could be getting close to overheating. Does the unit shut down on 4? I also remember that the p22 had close to 600* surface temps, any hotter it would emit a chemicly metal smell. Do you have a stove top thermometer? Turn the auger down and the convection blower up and see it that gets rid of the smell. I dont know on the big E but if i remember corectly the p22 had controls for both. If the auger and convection blower are on the same control, then look behind the control board for a feed adjustment screw and turn it down. Did you change brands of pellets?

On the Big E there is no ajustment to turn down the auger it changes with the heat setting only place you can turn it down is on setting #1 other then that it goes with the heat setting I found that when the convection fan is up all it does is make the smell come further down the room . according to tech its suppose
to not exceed 500 to 600 degrees at the combustion blower at highest setting which by the way I never did check. and about the pellets changed used the blazers brand which is suppose to be all douglas fir other day put in bag of dry creek and still had the smell so don't know if one bag would clear it..the blazers seem to be a pretty good pellet but as far as douglas fir don't know if this would give off the scent..

Guysr

its not the scent of the pellets, its the BTU/lb, the length and the diameter that can make a difference. Lets say your microprocessor is set up for certain peramiters and the pellets you are using are different. Short pellets burn hotter, smaller diameter pellets burn hotter, and Doug fir pellets burn hotter then lets say oak pellets. In other words if you had 1.5" 1/4" diameter oak pellets Versus 1/2" 1/4" doug fir pellets, your stove feed rate would have to be turned down to run at the same temp as the oak ones, a pellet change can make a big difference in the stove performance. You might be getting close to having that thing to hot.

guysr said:
nope never inquired about convection blower.. but I am the guy who gave you the techs number I talked to them and they are at a loss about the problem the stove is on 2nd season only thing done was clean up and change gasket on blower. can burn on #2 no smell but when I turn it to #3 it permeates the room . not smoke like I said chemical smell changed gasket again but still problem .. only thing I see is the armature on the combustion blower seem to be browning up If I block it on top of the armature smell seems to disapare but if I block from bottom smell appears to be more noticable from top of carboard..Nothing else has any thing to cause chemical smell like I said..also checked the auger armature and that is still like a white or cream color.. thats about it .. Going to try new combustion blower and see . Design of the one that is in there is terrible.. so at a loss..
guysr

Gave me the techs #?
I have had Breckwell Tech # and the OWNERS of Breckwell cell phone # on speed dial for years.

Why I was asking was someone Emailed me OFF my website asking about the length of the armature for the replacement COMBUSTION blower. and if it would Fit the BIG E
and his email address had Guy for the name and That email has been the first question I have every had abou the Big E.
In this post you were asking about the CONVECTION blower.

Fron what I seen the BIG E is a big heater. I dont know much about the stove only seen it at the Salt Lake Trade show.
but on the P24 they recomend you do not run the stove past the 3/4 heat setting for long periods of time.
No sure about the BIG E but if you are running it on high for a long time you could have OVER heating the combustion houseing and it burned off paint and gavanizeing causing the smell.

You could have cooked the wires also.

Status
Not open for further replies.