Breckwell Cast Steel Burnpot discontinued!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony K

Jan 11, 2009
Northeast Ct
Anyone know why the Breckwell cast steel burnpot was discontinued? My stove originally came with the stainless steel one that is replacing the cast steel one. After 2 years I had to replace the stainless steel one (requested the cast steel when I ordered) due to warping, it did not hold up and it got so bad I had a difficult time getting it out of the assembly and once I did, it was even worse trying to get it back in. Had to keep gringing the cutout on the assembly to make the burnpot fit. Why discontinue the one that holds up and keep the one that fails?

No, I don’t know why Breckwell discontinued the cast steel burn pot. I went through two of them and when I went to get a third one I was handed the two unit stainless steel. This two unit pot might be cheaper to replace when the inner unit burns out. Instead of replacing the whole pot you only need to replace the inner pot. I haven’t gotten that far yet, the new pot is holding up well. I actually like the new pot better. It has bigger holes that don’t need to be cleaned out periodically. The bottom of my old pots used to burn through and I would have to lay a couple of large washers on the bottom to extend the life of the pot for a while. So I guess we differ on which is the better pot.

Like you my inner pot is sometimes difficult to remove. I clean my stove approximately every five days or so. If it is difficult coming out I take it in the garage (once it’s out) and tap the bigger guides in with a hammer until they slide friction free into the outer pot. It isn’t hard, just a small pain but isn’t that the nature of pellet stove ownership?

From what I have been told (and this is not first hand hearing so take it with a grain of salt) is that Breckwell was limited in the number of welded steel burn pots they could produce by the EPA to stay within pollution limits and so to make up the difference they made cast burn pots instead. Since being bought out by US Stove that is no longer a factor and the welded ones are faster and cheaper to make they have stopped making the cast ones.

Tony K said:
Anyone know why the Breckwell cast steel burnpot was discontinued?....

Send Eric at Kinsman stoves ("kinsman stoves [email protected]") a PM...he is (or was) a Breckwell dealer and will probably be able to shed some light on this. Or you could call him at the store.....330-448-0300

Roadstar, you burned through the cast steel burnpot? this is also one of the problems I encountered with the welded stainless burnpot besides the warping. The cast burnpot is much thicker as you know and I haven't seen any signs of warping and or burning out through the bottom yet. The holes in the cast are definitely larger than that of the stainless one. Maybe they have changed the design of the stainless one somewhat since I got the cast one to replace the stainless. The stainless one lasted about 2 years for me and it's been plus or minus 4 years for the cast one and it still looks like the day I bought it. Agree there comes a time when we need to replace parts in our pellet stoves but I just don't think replacing the burnpot every two years is cost effective. Curious how burnpots in other stove brands hold up, what their made of?

This is the stainless burnpot after 2 years!

Attachments

• stainlessbp.jpg
    stainlessbp.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 711
Thats a bummer, Why don't you fix that one, cut the bottom off, get a thicker piece of stainless, drill the right size holes in it, get it re-welded.

Going on the third year with my Breckwell and my cast burn pot looks good as new especially when its cleaned. I usually give it a good cleaning depending on outside temp between 4-7 days of burn time.

Of course if you anybody finds a cast burn pot, be sure to PM cause wouldn't hurt to have a spare or two. Model of stove down below in signiture. Thanks

looks like corosion from salts to me, with all the white crusty particles on the metal.

DirtyDave said:
looks like corosion from salts to me, with all the white crusty particles on the metal.

When I got the new cast steel burnpot approx 4 years ago I just put this one in a metal bin I have to bring to the scrap yard. I posted the pic to show the burn through and how it warped. Yes it is weathered.

warpage from over heating is one thing, burn thru is slow even on stainless steel, niether one will leave mineral deposits or alkali residue like your pic looks like. I now must assume that the burn pot on that unit is like 20 gauge metal and light to die in 4 years.

Hey Tony,

Boy that pot looks warped! You been burning rocket fuel in your bigE? ;-)

The hole doesn't look big enough for pellets to fall through yet. Do you know a good welder? They should be able to replace the bottom for you. The holes don't need to be sloted. Round will do just fine. Heck if you can get some stainless plate, Just make a plate the fits inside and use it that way. Make a couple for spares while your at it.

Jay, actually Hamer Hot Ones!!!! with extra's added in! previous post explains this comment

I now have the cast burnpot which has held up for approx 4 years now and was disappointed to hear that they discontinued it! thought I had a lead on a cast one to have as a spare but crap happens........

Thanks

I sent Breckwell an e-mail trying to find out why the cast burnpot was discontinued and this is the response I got:

"The cast burnpot insert is still available. We substitute both the cast and stainless based on availability.
If you prefer the cast, please specify that with your dealer when you order".

Thanks

Breckwell Customer Service

Looks like they are available, will find out soon! Going to try and get one from Breckwell seeing as I will not do business with my dealer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.