Breckwell Convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchinpa

Feb 25, 2008
Western PA
Hello all

My Breckwell 2700 convection blower is squealing a bit for the first 10 minutes or so after the fan turns on during the startup process. After about 10 minutes, it hums along just fine. Since my stove is installed in a corner, and getting behind it is impossible without disconnecting the pipe, I was wondering if it's possible to remove that blower from the side panel? Maybe greasing the bearings will stop this initial squeal? Thanks in advance for your help!

The same thing happened with the fan motor on my St. Croix after I had pulled the fan/motor assy. to clean it. I wound up taking it out again and using a few drops of 3 in 1 "electric motor oil" that I've had for YEARS but seldom used... fixed it right up!

If you haven't had the fan out for cleaning recently you'll find a lot of dust and gook (technical terms)...if you cab blow it out with comprssed air it certainly gets a lot of "stuff" out....

Hi Krooser

I've cleaned the fan fins a couple of times already, and can do so by just removing the outer ring of that fan housing from the side panel, but have never removed the entire fan. I'm just wondering if the whole fan can be removed from the side, or will I need to disconnect the whole stove, pull it from the corner, and remove the fan from the back panel.

I wish I could help you... there are several Breckwell owners here so the answer should be coming soon...

I like kroosers idea to put some oil on the blower bearings. You should be able to remove the left side cover(facing the stove) and reach in and lube them. Not alot of room on them to work on. Might need to remove the blower and lube them on the bench. I don't remember if they had a rear panel. Might need to remove that as well.

jay

Sounds like we have the same setup, my stove is in the corner, on the combustion blower side of the stove, there is one bolt to remove at the bottom of the side panel, it then opens on a hinge. I had enough room to remove the fan. Unplug stove first, then motor leads, remove six or seven (I forgot exact #)1/4 head screws around perimeter of motor and it should pop out easy, mine did. Like I said, I had more than enough room. As for oiling the motor bearings, you can try, mine were sealed bearings though. Mine started the same noise a month ago and this morning it was seized, so no stove until I find a new motor. I removed the blower motor and fan (not the housing) and separated the motor from the blades, I am now looking for a new motor. Grainger or similar should carry it, its just a small fractional H/P, 3000 RPM motor, nothing special. I'm not paying the $150 plus prices for that motor unless its a last resort. So if your blower has started that noise, it may mean the bearings are not long for this world, and you may be needing a new motor soon. You may also try a no flash electrical contact cleaner to try to clean the motor/housing etc. if your bearings are sealed like mine you should not have to worry about washing out any lubricant with the cleaner, might help. If I am able to find a reasonable replacement motor, I will post again.

bugmich said:
Sounds like we have the same setup, my stove is in the corner, on the combustion blower side of the stove, there is one bolt to remove at the bottom of the side panel, it then opens on a hinge. I had enough room to remove the fan. Unplug stove first, then motor leads, remove six or seven (I forgot exact #)1/4 head screws around perimeter of motor and it should pop out easy, mine did. Like I said, I had more than enough room. As for oiling the motor bearings, you can try, mine were sealed bearings though. Mine started the same noise a month ago and this morning it was seized, so no stove until I find a new motor. I removed the blower motor and fan (not the housing) and separated the motor from the blades, I am now looking for a new motor. Grainger or similar should carry it, its just a small fractional H/P, 3000 RPM motor, nothing special. I'm not paying the $150 plus prices for that motor unless its a last resort. So if your blower has started that noise, it may mean the bearings are not long for this world, and you may be needing a new motor soon. You may also try a no flash electrical contact cleaner to try to clean the motor/housing etc. if your bearings are sealed like mine you should not have to worry about washing out any lubricant with the cleaner, might help. If I am able to find a reasonable replacement motor, I will post again.

The new grainger motors are Permanent Split Capacitor . The breckwell control board is designed for shaded pole motors. You will not have a low speed with the grainger. It will always be on high. May damage the control panel and the motor in the long run.

Try here for a new blower. Link:

http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/4053

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's my convection blower causing the issue and not the combustion blower. That link looks like it's for a combustion blower. I havent had time to look over the convection blower yet to see if I can remove it from the side. With the kind of luck I have, I'm sure I'll have to disconnect the stove!

mitchinpa said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's my convection blower causing the issue and not the combustion blower. That link looks like it's for a combustion blower. I havent had time to look over the convection blower yet to see if I can remove it from the side. With the kind of luck I have, I'm sure I'll have to disconnect the stove!

Try the left hand navigation in the link that Jay provided those folks carry all kinds of stuff (technical term).

mitchinpa said:

The link I posted is the convection blower. Look at the photo upper right corner. Not the photo below.

Just wanted to update and Thank Jay! I ordered the new converction blower and installed it this weekend. Other than needing a female disconnect for one of the wires (I had a few male ends left over from another project) it was installed rather easily. Nothin like saving almost $100!! The new blower is also 200 rpm faster and actually is a little more quiet than the original (when it worked properly).

mitchinpa said:
Hello all

My Breckwell 2700 convection blower is squealing a bit for the first 10 minutes or so after the fan turns on during the startup process. After about 10 minutes, it hums along just fine. Since my stove is installed in a corner, and getting behind it is impossible without disconnecting the pipe, I was wondering if it's possible to remove that blower from the side panel? Maybe greasing the bearings will stop this initial squeal? Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't really know your set up or the stove but a lot of blower motors have little ports on them for oiling others have sealed bearings. It may be possible to oil the bearings without removing the blower assembly. Some hardware stores sell oil bottles with long tubes built in for hard to get at ports.

The original blower did not have a place to oil, but the new one does. An added bonus to the replacement. I am going to try to fix the old blower, this way I do have a spare in case of a future failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.