Breckwell Customer service problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsuggins

Jan 19, 2006
Hello everyone,

Well, we have been having some issues with out two year old Breckwell P23 pellet stove and I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues? Here is the history:

Our stove developed a three inch crack on the back wall of the fire chamber. We emailed Breckwell (there are no other forms of contact other than email or slug mail) and at first, we received fast replies and concern from Breckwell. Then we found out we had to pay for the shipping of the stove back to Eugene Oregon. So $300 (now it’s a $2100 stove) later it was on it way to Eugene. Then we lost all contact with Breckwell. At first we were emailed by Breckwell but that stopped when the stove left our house. Six weeks later (yes, we froze for six weeks) we received our stove but that was all. No shipping paperwork, no repair documentation and a very very poor patch job was done. Instead of breaking down the unit and the removing and replacing the defective metal firewall, they simply welded a two-times as thick piece of metal over the crack. They even said, as quoted by Breckwell, to be the first ever of this defect. I am very hesitant to use this stove without a document from Breckwell stating it was repaired and is still guaranteed safe to operate. We email them and email them and they ignore us now.

Has anyone else ever had this much trouble with Breckwell. I will I would have bought a Quadra fire instead of this poorly built stove from a company with poor customer service.

I carried Breckwell for a matter of months. Sold 6 of their stoves. Installed a brand new stove, control board did not function properly it was overfeeding would not light when the thermostat called for heat etc. etc. Installed a control board from the one that I put on my floor the stove worked beautifully. Sent it in for warranty got the board back. It was refused for lack or or improper maintenance. Thing is that this stove was installed for only 3 days before it had problems. I don't know what maintenance that they felt was lacking or improper in 3 days but that's what the story they stuck to. As far as your problem while the repair may not look the best it is probably sound. And for the shipping most companies do not cover shipping or costs involved with un-installing and re-installing the stove. There is one company that comes to mind who has a one way freight allowance so atleast they cover half of the cost.

"As far as your problem while the repair may not look the best it is probably sound. "

Thanks for your information. However, my concern is that the defective metal that started to crack and split is still in the stove. It was only covered up. What totally baffels me is that they stated this is the first defect of its kind. Why do they not want to replace it, make the customer happy and then do some failure analysis to help prevent this from happening again. I can only assume its because they want money not happy customers.

I now have a stove that I can not sell due to the fact it was repaired and I have no documentation from the manufacture that it is repair to code and safe. I have had two people look at and immediatly say "what is that?" and "Who fixed it". I dont want to use it either.

$1800 boat anchor!!!!

Thanks again,

Mr Suggins

Yeah they should be willing to give you some sort of certification of fireworthiness. I would imagine (or would hope) that they drilled a hole on each end of the crack to prevent it from spreading further. They should probably just replace the stove to save face but I believe they can either repair or replace the defective component/unit. How that repair is carried out is up to them and is also their liability hence my belief that the unit is probably fireworthy as it would be a tremendous liability if it were not. Of course if there is no documentation that the stove was ever repaired by them. Though surely you have your Freight Bill from the company you paid to ship it which should be enough to prove that they atleast posessed the stove at some point.

Did you buy the stove from a Local hearth dealer or a Internet dealer?

If you bought it from a Local hearth dealer then they would have taken care of the problem and had to ship it back to the Factory.
But if you read the warantee Shipping is never covered in warrantee parts.
But back to my point.
This is the problem with buying stoves on line. you dont get any face to face support.

I no longer sell Breckwell stoves because of the online dealers selling them at low margins because they do not give face to face service

Did you buy the stove from a Local hearth dealer or a Internet dealer?
- We bought it from a local dealer, we had to pay for delivery to our house 4 blocks away as well.

If you bought it from a Local hearth dealer then they would have taken care of the problem and had to ship it back to the Factory.
- Yes we did buy from the local dealer but no they did not really do anything. They said that the shipping charge was our responsibility and they could not do anything till we paid for it. They and Breckwell did not even send out a service technican to evaluate the stove. They relied on our digital camera pictures to determine if it had to be shipped back. The dealer implied that Breckwell required the payment for delivery and that the dealer had nothing to do with it. We then emailed Breckwell with no response.

But if you read the warranty Shipping is never covered in warranty parts.
- yes I agree, however, when its 20 degrees out, as I said in my email to Breckwell, couldn't they have shipped the stove covering the cost to expedite the repair and deal with this later. We waited for two weeks and could figure out why nothing was moving and when we called the dealer it was due to shipping cost. We didn't even know that was as issue. Again, no replies from Breckwell. We sent email to the same addresses that were responded to from Breckwell early on and they never came back undeliverable.

But back to my point.
This is the problem with buying stoves on line. you dont get any face to face support.
- I am 50/50 on it. My son bought a pellet stove insert online and had no issues but that is one of many so I am still cautious.

I no longer sell Breckwell stoves because of the online dealers selling them at low margins because they do not give face to face service
- Who Breckwell or the online dealers. To me they seem to give the same service.

Thank you for replying and I wish it would have happened the right way. Natural gas cost are killing us and I really think I will go buy another, not Breckwell, pellet stove soon.

At this point I think we are going to send a registered letter to Breckwell and ask for these documents within 60 days or take them to small claims court so I can recoup so of my $2100. I hope I did not come off angry at you...this is just frustrating and I hate being screwed like this.

Thanks again for your input

Respectfully,

Mr Suggins

I feel bad for you that your dealer to taking care of you.

Looking at what some dealers have for lack of service It must look like I Bend over backwards for my customers.

I have had two Brickwells with about the same problem you had.

I gave the customer NEW stoves and took the stoves back and sent them back for repair my self.

I feel it is just the Sellers responsablily.

I agree with Rod.....sounds like a lousy dealer.....possibly the next time, check on the dealers' credentials, other customers, the better business bureau....etc. I cant comment on Breckwell....dont sell them, nor do we service them, nor will we ever sell them, based on what ive heard from dealers and customers. gOOD LUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.