breckwell insert p2000 lazy flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG32

Aug 18, 2010
CT
this breckwell pellet insert has 3 glass sections & a real pain in the ass to keep clean, 1/2 a BAG & THE WINDOWS ARE BROWN & it just gets worse from there.
anyway, the air adjustment is .all the way closed & the flame is just a tad above lazy.
i am thinking that changing the sealwould help . anyone know the best place to get it & what size to get?
when I last cleaned it, I fired it up & sprayed water on the glass(before the
stove fired up) & you could see the water gettting sucked into the stove, so there is obviously an air leak around the glass

this breckwell pellet insert has 3 glass sections & a real pain in the ass to keep clean, 1/2 a BAG & THE WINDOWS ARE BROWN & it just gets worse from there.
anyway, the air adjustment is .all the way closed & the flame is just a tad above lazy.
i am thinking that changing the sealwould help . anyone know the best place to get it & what size to get?
when I last cleaned it, I fired it up & sprayed water on the glass(before the
stove fired up) & you could see the water gettting sucked into the stove, so there is obviously an air leak around the glass

Why is the damper all the way closed? If your flame is lazy, have you tried giving it more air?
I have the same stove and usually have the damper 1/3 to 1/2 open on setting 3. What type of pellets are you using?

I agree.

Closed = Lazy flame.

Open = Lively/Active Flame

Open your damper more.

The glass should have an "airwash" . This is what keeps the glass clean. That's why the water was being sucked in.

I would also bet that your pellets are building up/piling up in the pot with it closed??

ok,maybe it is not closed, maybe its open. I am not certain but if I try to
move the lever the other way, the flame gets wild & for lack of better word, weak.
with the lever all the way open/closed, the flame is somewhat like a torch flame, if I move it
the oposite direction in the slightest bit, it gets carazy & weak. if the lever went a little more it
would be more torchlike which is why I think it needs to change the seal to close off more air.

ok,maybe it is not closed, maybe its open. I am not certain but if I try to
move the lever the other way, the flame gets wild & for lack of better word, weak.
with the lever all the way open/closed, the flame is somewhat like a torch flame, if I move it
the oposite direction in the slightest bit, it gets carazy & weak. if the lever went a little more it
would be more torchlike which is why I think it needs to change the seal to close off more air.

If your damper is working properly, towards the right is in/closed (less air), left is out/open (more air)

From the owners manual (available on the breckwell website):

DAMPER CONTROL

The damper control rod on the stove’s lower left side adjusts the combustion air. This control is necessary due to the varied burn

characteristics of individual installations, different pellet brands and pellet feed rates. It allows you to improve the efficiency of your stove.

Providing correct combustion air will reduce the frequency of cleaning your glass door and prevent the rapid buildup of creosote inside your

stove and chimney.

You should adjust the damper based on the fire’s appearance. A low, reddish, dirty fire can be improved by pulling the damper out slightly. A

“blow torch” fire can be improved by pushing the damper in a bit.

As a general rule, on lower feed rate settings, the damper should be in farther. On higher feed rates, the damper should be more open.

Through trial and error, you will find the best setting. Consult your dealer if you need help.

NOTE:

On “1”, damper should be either completely closed or out approximately ” to ¼”. If damper is out too far, it can cause the fire to go

out.

Time for a good cleaning. Open the back vent doors and tap lightly with a hammer to knock the stuck ash off. Use a piece of Romex wire to scrape the cavity vertically behind the 2 small vent garage doors. Vacuum out. Flame is lazy from lack of air, either from the damper or ash filled passages. Let us know if you get better results after cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.