Breckwell P2000 FS Control board update? ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I just got an older Breckwell P2000 FS 3 sided glass wood pellet stove with the original digital control board. This board does not have the Mode switch for the T-Stat on the control panel.

I did fire it up and it seems to work well and is nice and quiet!

Original Breckwell P2000FS Manual C-L-802 8/04 on Page 14
See pic 1 below and older manual pdf attached below

Newer Breckwell P2000FS Manual C-L-802 8/04 on Page 14
http://www.pelletking.com/pellet-stove-manuals/Breckwell-P2000-Pellet-Stove-Manual.pdf
See pic 2 below

Has anyone upgraded to the newer control panel?
Is there a good place to buy it cheap?

Here is a vid of the fire I made

Attachments

• BreckwellP2000Manual_C-L-802_1-04.jpg
    BreckwellP2000Manual_C-L-802_1-04.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 668
  • Breckwell-P2000FS-2003.pdf
    741.7 KB · Views: 906
  • BreckwellP2000Manual_C-L-802_8-04.jpg
    BreckwellP2000Manual_C-L-802_8-04.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 621
Don,

You might want to look at the component side of that board, get the timing chart and look over the selection of those boards that enviro and others are using.

It appears to be a re-branded bog standard third party controller.

Don,

You might want to look at the component side of that board, get the timing chart and look over the selection of those boards that enviro and others are using.

It appears to be a re-branded bog standard third party controller.

Yes Smokey! Someone said Enviro and Breckwell have the same control board maker! Since this stove is 50k BTU input, that HR West Point upgrade board with the jumper set to 50k BTU should work quite nice! That is fairly cheap!

I have not gone thru the stove yet but it is in really nice shape! Just wish I could change the big brass door to brush nickel!

Attachments

• HRWPjumperPinsforUpdatedEnviroControlBoard (1).jpg
    HRWPjumperPinsforUpdatedEnviroControlBoard (1).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 728
Hey Don,

I wouldn't swap it for anything but the Breckwell board(liability issues!). Plus if the older board is working fine? There is no need for a swap. Check page 17 of the older manual and you will see that it still can be Auto/Off or High/Low by moving a jumper.

If you absolutely must change out the board send me a PM.

Don what Omega says x2- BW replacements boards can be found at BW website- you use your stove serial no. to identify- but if current board works don't know why you'd want to spend the 200-250 bucks... keep it clean burn good pellets. BW makes a workhorse.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood

Don, it is the auger timing and combustion and convection voltages that count and I'll second what jtakeman says about the liability issue, however it gives you a source of alternatives if push comes to shove. That 50, 60, 70 K is useless in matching boards up.

Hi Guys

Well here is a bit of a mystery on the Control Panel in there now!

The MFD on the label inside the hopper is July 1996.

The molex connector that plugs into the control panel has a date of April 5, 2001 ! ! !
Since that Molex Plug is part of the wiring harness, does this mean the stove originally had the analog board and old wire harness?

So my next question is:
Is the board in there now, the 4 RPM or 1 RPM board?

See pics below. Click to enlarge (Sure is a big Auger Motor!)

Attachments

• BreckwellP2000FScontrolpanel.jpg
    BreckwellP2000FScontrolpanel.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG03308-20120902-2217.jpg
    IMG03308-20120902-2217.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG03309-20120902-2220.jpg
    IMG03309-20120902-2220.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 662
The board doesn't particularly care about the auger motor rate just that it turns at the proper rate when it gets the juice from the controller.

This is what trips up a good number of people, the board puts out a voltage for a period of time and then doesn't put out a voltage for a period of time. The auger motor will turn as long as the board supplies the voltage and doesn't turn when there is no voltage from the board. Your task is to find out what the motor turn rate was on the equipment that had that 14.5 second total cycle timing and identify the timing cycle produced by the current board. I'll let you figure out the rest.

Hey Smokey

Breckwell is different see these 2 boards:

4 RPM Breckwell part# C-E-301 or A-E-301 with yellow or beige square around the On/Off button and Fuel Feed Light
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Breckwell_Digital_1RPM_Circuit_Board_p/a-e-401.htm
or
1 RPM Breckwell part# C-E-401 or A-E-401 with the red square around the On/Off button and Fuel Feed Light
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Breckwell_Digital_4RPM_Circuit_Board_p/a-e-301.htm
P2000 Tahoe - up to serial # 11779

My board has greyish blue around square around the On/Off button? ? ?

Just did a live chat with Michael at Mountain View Hearth products. He said that according to the serial # of the stove - WH98-11406 it has a 4 RPM auger and should have the older 4 RPM control panel. If I remove the panel there may be some #s on the land side to verify that.

So I took the control panel out.
On the back it says:
Applied Control Electronics Inc
DHC-2000 1999 Rev C

So the timing must be different on this "4 RPM Board" than the "1 RPM Board" right?
That would also make it a C-E-400 or A-E-400 board since there is no slide switch for T-Stat mode?

Attachments

• DSCN4472ya.jpg
    DSCN4472ya.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN4471.JPG
    DSCN4471.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 708
Hey Smokey

Breckwell is different see these 2 boards:

4 RPM Breckwell part# C-E-301 or A-E-301 with yellow or beige square around the On/Off button and Fuel Feed Light
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Breckwell_Digital_1RPM_Circuit_Board_p/a-e-401.htm
or
1 RPM Breckwell part# C-E-401 or A-E-401 with the red square around the On/Off button and Fuel Feed Light
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Breckwell_Digital_4RPM_Circuit_Board_p/a-e-301.htm
P2000 Tahoe - up to serial # 11779

My board has greyish blue around square around the On/Off button? ? ?

Just did a live chat with Michael at Mountain View Hearth products. He said that according to the serial # of the stove - WH98-11406 it has a 4 RPM auger and should have the older 4 RPM control panel. If I remove the panel there may be some #s on the land side to verify that.

So I took the control panel out.
On the back it says:
Applied Control Electronics Inc
DHC-2000 1999 Rev C

So the timing must be different on this "4 RPM Board" than the "1 RPM Board" right?
That would also make it a C-E-400 or A-E-400 board since there is no slit switch for T-Stat mode?

Actually Breckwell isn't different. They all require that the timing on the board go with the auger speed and pitch to deliver the pellets in the proper amount to somewhat be close to the stated BTU numbers they sling about.

Once again the board doesn't give a flying fig about what it has on the other end provided it doesn't require more juice than the board is designed to provide. If it requires more juice than the board can handle you can kiss the board goodbye.

If the board and the auger motor get along the stove can be over or under fired depending upon what the convection blower can remove of the heat generated but the board doesn't care. You might care but the board doesn't.

Hmmm DHC- now where have we seen those before, oh ya, on all kinds of stoves I believe that the 2000 series requires one to monkey with the damper when the firing rate is changed. The DHC- 3000 series doesn't but don't hold me to that (they muck around almost as much with the controller software as Microsoft does with their stuff. With large software systems I can see why but after a few years they should have this stove thing down pat.

Hey jtakeman why do you want Don's damper adjustment requiring controller?

To anyone reading through this:

Everything has to match up for the stove to both be safe and operate somewhat according to the manual. But as we have seen in the past what may be on a stove now might not be what was or should be on that stove.

Couple this with differences in pellets and it leads to all sorts of weird things.

Hey Smokey

Good point about the DHC 2000 series board and damper settings! I have heard of a report of this stove not burning all night on Low Heat Setting 1. Not sure what board was in that stove. However when this stove goes to final test in the shed, I will be giving it the Full QC Testing and burning on Low for a long time will be my priority test! Everything else on this stove seems to be working very well!

There is a place not too far from me that chromes parts. So I will also be checking into to this for the door and grill work! Chroming these parts would really make a difference!

Attachments

• BreckwellP2000.jpg
    BreckwellP2000.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 421
Hmmm DHC- now where have we seen those before, oh ya, on all kinds of stoves I believe that the 2000 series requires one to monkey with the damper when the firing rate is changed. The DHC- 3000 series doesn't but don't hold me to that (they muck around almost as much with the controller software as Microsoft does with their stuff. With large software systems I can see why but after a few years they should have this stove thing down pat.

Hey jtakeman why do you want Don's damper adjustment requiring controller?

To anyone reading through this:

Everything has to match up for the stove to both be safe and operate somewhat according to the manual. But as we have seen in the past what may be on a stove now might not be what was or should be on that stove.

Couple this with differences in pellets and it leads to all sorts of weird things.

I never did finish up with my friends bigE, He gave up on that unit and moved to something fancier. But we were headed towards a Napoleon NPS45. Feedrate was very close to the bigE and it had similar blowers. Second was the universal board Enviro has for their units with multiple programs for different stoves. If I were to try it again on something in my possession? Sure! But something I would sell off? Not a chance, I'd only replace it with a factory replacement!

I never did finish up with my friends bigE, He gave up on that unit and moved to something fancier. But we were headed towards a Napoleon NPS45. Feedrate was very close to the bigE and it had similar blowers. Second was the universal board Enviro has for their units with multiple programs for different stoves. If I were to try it again on something in my possession? Sure! But something I would sell off? Not a chance, I'd only replace it with a factory replacement!

Well that doesn't quite answer the question about why you want the old PITA controller, IIRC (I'm older now than I was when jtakeman was a complaining about the full out combustion fan speed, so I may be misremembering big time, but I don't think so).

Maybe to add to your stock of odd ball spare parts?

Hello

The C-E-401 control board is the latest board for the newest breckwell stoves. It would be a shame to scrap it.

Well that doesn't quite answer the question about why you want the old PITA controller, IIRC (I'm older now than I was when jtakeman was a complaining about the full out combustion fan speed, so I may be misremembering big time, but I don't think so).

Maybe to add to your stock of odd ball spare parts?

I think were getting confused? Bear I offered Don a spare I have.

Hello

The C-E-401 control board is the latest board for the newest breckwell stoves. It would be a shame to scrap it.

Don, I won't scrap it. Someone will need it sooner or later.

Just so you know, If you absolutely had to, All you would need to do is change the auger motor to a 1 rpm and add the 1 rpm control board to match. I remember a tech saying they were doing that to the older units. And Breckwell phased out the 4 rpm stuff around 2005. The 1 rpm motor was more reliable and made much less noise. But if its working fine, Don't waste any cash on it.

A trick you could do on the older boards to change from Auto/Off to Hi/Lo. Add a on/off(SPST) switch and wire it to the jumper location. Mount the switch on the exterior for easy access. Label it and your good to go.

I think were getting confused? Bear I offered Don a spare I have.

K, I thought you wanted to make Don an offer for the board if he was going to change it out and for the life of me after all of the grumbling about the fixed combustion blower crud on your BigE things just weren't making any sense at all.

K, I thought you wanted to make Don an offer for the board if he was going to change it out and for the life of me after all of the grumbling about the fixed combustion blower crud on your BigE things just weren't making any sense at all.

The older board might have a "pic" which could be useful. But I already have access to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.