Breckwell P2000i insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsm1212

Jul 19, 2008
Boston MA
I just purchased a breckwell p2000i insert and I'm probably going to install it myself. The chimney is only about 6 years old so it is in very good shape. I've only burned about a half cord of wood in it in the whole time I had it. All hardwood. It looks pretty clean but should I get it cleaned before the install? I'm thinking of picking up a brush and some rope and just giving it a couple of swipes myself. I've done this to a coal furnace chimney in the past so I think this would should be pretty easy, but it's usually a mess.

The install will be simpson 3" venting to the top (~18 feet). I'll cover the chimney cap with a flash cone and a top piece. The retailer told me I could just pack unpapered fiberglass insulation around the flex vent where it goes through the open damper right above the unit. Is this acceptable or should I find some sheet metal and try to create a cover with a hole it in it? If sheet metal is called for, then is galvanized OK or does it need to be stainless? How does one attach this in place?

I'll probably have more questions as the event approaches so please bare with me :).

thanks,

Don

Maybe if I ask more simply:

If I'm venting all the way to the top of my chimney and flashing and capping that, then do I need a solid plate above the insert near the damper or not?

If so, what do I make it out of?

thanks,

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.