Breckwell P2000I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwrehm

Feb 27, 2010
Bethlehem, PA
I am a pellet stove novice. I have a Breckwell P2000I. I seem to be getting a lot of clunkers. I have to clean out the fire box daily. Is this normal? Also, what is the optimal damper setting for speeds 1 and 2?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum

"Clinkers" are the result of dirt or other unburnable materials that basically melt to form the HARD chunks.

This issue is pretty much due to the quality of the fuel you are using.

Some pellets are far better than others.

Try a different brand of pellets and see iof the issue is better.

Many pellet manufactures have turned to using all sorts of wood BY PRODUCTS and not 100% CLEAN WOOD to make their pellets.

Any dirt or other materials that does not burn will give this result.

Many outifts are mixing in bark and such and with it comes a certain amount of dirt.

Hope this answers the ????

The damper setting depends on several factors. The fuel type and the particular stoves characteristics.

Adjust the damper so that the flame is brisk but so that it doe not burn all the pellets up and leave the pot empty without any coals.

Its a sort of experiment and see type of thing.

A lazy fire that leaves soot or allows the pellets to pile up and not burn well means not enough air.

Once you find the "sweet spot" you can note the setting and continue to use it.

Most stoves will work well right across the board on one air setting.

Depending on the control boards settings and how much materials are dropped each time the motor cycles will dictate what you need.

Too much air will tend to cause a small fire to burn the pot out and then once the next batch falls in there will be a tendency for the stove to smoke a lot until the fuel heats up and flashes over.

Snowy

rwrehm said:
I am a pellet stove novice. I have a Breckwell P2000I. I seem to be getting a lot of clunkers. I have to clean out the fire box daily. Is this normal? ........Thanks

What brand of pellets are you burning in the stove? How old is the stove? Have you had the clinker problem since the very beginning, or recently? When was the last FULL cleaning (not just the firepot/firebox)?

Status
Not open for further replies.