Breckwell P23 Access Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenbrenda

Jan 21, 2013
Cadott, WI.
Well I out to kick my self in the a** I always thought the doors were for something else other than cleaning, my manual does no say to clean them out says check.. weird anyway dummy me was wondering why the stove finally was petering out thinking bad combustion fan and all, but it ran fine no noise to grinding, then here I finally opened them access doors and wow! 6 years of ash..Poor Stove, man my wife and I feel bad, but we cleaned them out all 4 and i mean the stuff was high in them walls I did not know they were hollow..but the Stove runs like a Deere now! just like new and the air wash works after we learned that, they don't say anything about that either in the manual..but Thank god it works it was -31 out here in Cadott, WI today -12 windchill and we are toasty warm and we can enjoy the flames.

Just in case you didn't do it this time, if the back of the stove is steel, and has removeable firebrick or panel, the next time you clean it, use a small mallet or hammer and give the back wall 4-5 good solid whacks....I think you'll see a LOT more crud fall down behind those ash trap doors. After 6 years, there HAS to be a bunch of it stuck up in there.

I'm going to do it again when it gets warm this weekend..on the back left side it felt like something was in the way going straight up, cause we put like or fingers and toothbrushes bringing it down.. I gave the side ones a wack and more fell down..where does all that enter from??

The combustion air blows a lot of the ash up along with the heated air, and it goes into that area you discovered when you removed the trap covers....that's where the heat exchanger is. That's why they're called "ash traps".

Status
Not open for further replies.