Breckwell P23I Auger Jam - Easy fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timalabim

Jul 11, 2008
eastern ma
I'm just about 6 bags into my 2nd ton of pellets (southernnglo) and had an auger jam today.

The hardest part of the fix was emptying the hopper as I was snaking in with a small hose that kept clogging up.

Next time it will be easier now that I know there are just 4 screws to take the cover off!

Once I got into the hopper, I took off the auger cover by removing the 4 nuts.

There was a big clump of pellets and fines jamming up the works.

It was easy to dislodge the clump with a screw driver and I was back in business.

Should have taken pictures, but didn't... Sorry....

Anyway, no need to drop the motor, disconnect the auger, or any of what looked to be much more difficult than what I had to do.

Not really sure of the cause of the jam. Could packing the pellets into the hopper too agressively do this? I have been cramming them in lately.

I dont really have anything to compare to as I have only used these pellets, but I would guess that there is maybe a cup or so of fines in each bag. Does that seem excessive to the point that that could contribute the the jam?

timalabim said:
....Not really sure of the cause of the jam. Could packing the pellets into the hopper too agressively do this? I have been cramming them in lately.

I dont really have anything to compare to as I have only used these pellets, but I would guess that there is maybe a cup or so of fines in each bag. Does that seem excessive to the point that that could contribute the the jam?

1. DO NOT cram the pellets into the hopper....just pour them in, and that's it.

2. A cup of fines seems a little excessive, but not overly so. I am using Lignetics and NEWP pellets, and the most I've seen was 1/3 - 1/2 . Normally it's about 1/4 cup.

Im bringing this one back from the dead.....I have a P23i and the auger is jammed. Its not jammed at the spout. My last jam I shined a light up the pellet shoot with a mirror and freed the clog with a coat hanger. Its clear there. My question is how to get to the auger to free this jam? I couldn't follow what the original poster described. I can't get to anything through the hopper. Not enough room. Also what screws were removed to get to the auger? Is anybody familiar with the breckwell P23i insert that can give me some tips on how to free this jam? The manual is useless. It only says to contact the dealer with an auger jam. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.