Breckwell P24 Only Feeds Manual Not the Vacuum Switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been cases where auger motors will run fine out of circuit and under no load and fail to turn when loaded. Sometimes the failure is intermittent. Sometimes it occurs only after the motor has warmed up. Sometimes it is the bushings being worn or gummed up. Then we have the cases of loose couplings that lead to funny (well not really) operation.

how do we test that?

It would depend on the SN/ year made on which board you would have.

how do we test that?

It involves disconnecting the motor from the auger, and pulling the auger.

The bearings/bushings that you need to check are at each end where the auger mounts inside its flight.

The auger needs to turn without resistance, it is the resistance that slowly wears out the motor.

Sometimes if the coupling is loose you can just pull the auger motor off of the stove (like I was able to this fall after having burned a half ton of pellets, I had difficulty tightening the set screw after I replaced the auger motor).

Testing the motor out of circuit requires that it be disconnected from both the auger and the stoves electronics and doing a hot wire exercise ( DANGEROUS 120 AC can kill ) to power the motor and then holding on to the motors shaft and seeing if the motor stalls.

Smokey is correct, the auger motor can and should be checked that way. The auger motor on that particular year and model had a poor design on the bearing and shaft retainer, The top of the auger motor has a thin shiny washer that is press fit to keep pressure on the shaft. I had that washer pop off and the auger quit working. As Smokey advised, remove the auger motor, its just a collar with an allen screw and 2 wire harness,hard wire it to a 120V outlet and see if the shaft turns. If it does turn and you've checked the limit switches and vacuum switch it almost has to be the circuit board.

Thanks again everyone, but it still works using manual feed. Is that irrelevant?
That was my thought but it is worth checking anyway, before a board is thought of. Good info Smoky and dubbz

Thanks again everyone, but it still works using manual feed. Is that irrelevant?

Once you have got the motor warm by manual feed it may stall when it is hit by a short timed pulse from the control board. I don't know if jtakeman is still lurking in on me but he is very familiar with the antics of auger systems.

I also think the heat seeker has used more than what should be anyone's fair share of gear motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.