Breckwell P400/Vermont/Classic maintenance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeRanger

Jul 9, 2008
Norhtern VT
Hi,
I'm the owner of a new P4000/Vermont/Classic and have a cleaning question. We don't have the fake log set, but the stove has some ceramic? fake bricks inside the fire box. In reading the directions it looks like now and then I should be cleaning the "ash doors" behind those bricks and behind some upper baffles too. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the "bricks" or find the upper baffles.

I watched the installer simply place the bricks in the stove, but they're so fragile feeling I'm afraid to pull on them too hard and break them getting them out. Can any P4000/Vermont/Classic stove owners give me any pointers please? I'm a very "handy" person and ashamed to admit I can't figure this out :) But the drawings/directions in the manual do nothing for me.

Thanks,
j

I have the same stove and the brick refractory simply pulls right out. There should be no fasteners or anything holding them in. You might want to ask your installer if he did anything *special*, but it should be easy.

As for the ash doors and baffle plates, I clean my every ton and it is pretty easy...save yourself a little time and use a 3/8" mini ratchet for the bolts. You only have to loosen them a bit to remove the doors and the plates, and then don't have to worry about loosing them or sucking them up in the shop-vac.

Status
Not open for further replies.