Breckwell Pellet Stove Insert issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamztoyz

Oct 27, 2008
Western New York
Hi,

This is my third season using an older Breckwell p24i pellet stove insert. The first year I had issues with the auger jamming up and nothing dropping out of the shoot. I tried 10 or so brand of pellets and found Lignetics was best. So the second season I bought 5 ton of Lignetics. This year I could not find Lignetics. I bought American Wood Fiber from TSC. They were doing good, but now on setting 3 and setting 4 (this is the non digital stove) pellets are dropping all the time, the auger moves, but many times nothing comes out and it takes me a minute or two of my pressing the auger button to get something to drop out. The auger appears to be turning every 14 seconds. (As I write this I had to stop and mess with the stove.) I find that I hear a loud thud like a pellet is jammed, but this happens a lot. My question is does this constant lack of dropping pellets and my flame going down to just red coals show me that the auger is junk and needs replacing, or? I know the guy I bought it from had put a new auger in it. If I run Lignetics it goes good. The thing is, I think this should burn these pellets and other without issue. Should I replace the auger? I am glad it isn't too cold right now or I would chuck this thing out the back door if I could pick it up by myself : ) Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to spend $3k on a new one. Thanks

I doubt its the auger itself. More like a warn bushing or something like the auger motor is stalling. The thunk could be a bad gear in the auger motor gearbox. About how old is the stove?

Hi,

The stove is mid 90's. When I bought it, the guy had just put a new auger motor or so he said. The first season I had this constant issue with pellets not dropping and the clunk. Last yr with the Lignetics which seem easier to break up and seemed softer there was little to no issue. Now with the currents pellets which are a bit harder I am getting the clunk and a lot lower flame and at times no flame and then it rises back up. I just heard it clunk and nothing dropped. It took three minutes to get pellets to drop. I really didn't hear it cycling around every 14 seconds either. Should I buy a new auger motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.