Breckwell SP1002 pellet burner faults out after start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oldryder

Jan 13, 2024
Avon MN
New start up of unit that was in storage for about 4 years. Unit starts up normally, good draft. Pellets ignite readily and burn cleanly. After 10 or 15 minutes the ON/OFF indicator light starts blinking and the unit shuts down. can't find anything in the manual re: the blinking light. I assume some interlock is causing the shutdown. The unit doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough to be over temp. Stove left side is about 140 degrees, right side is about 160 degrees and there isn't a lot of combustion going on in the burn pot even with the feed rate maxed out. Vent pipe is only warm to the touch.

Troubleshooting chart has a "High Limit Switch Keeps Tripping" but doesn't tell me how to know thats the problem.

there are two thermostats in the schematic; "High Temp Thermodisc" and "POF thermodisc". I can jumper these out individually to troubleshoot if needed. Is there one that is more likely the problem than the other?

looking for suggestions.

Try jumping the POF
if the disc is dirty (covered in ash it will
not read the temp necessary to tell the
board, there is a fire and the stove will shut down

"
Try jumping the POF
if the disc is dirty (covered in ash it will
not read the temp necessary to tell the
board, there is a fire and the stove will shut down"

thx for reply. I just figured out that it was stuck in "start up" mode. Will clean and if needed jump out the POF .

I jumpered the POF switch. No joy. Next step will be to dismount the control panel and access sensors at the connector on the board. should be easy enough to jumper them out at that point. I wish the manual had a logic diagram for the various interlocks. I'd hate to buy a controller board and find out that wasn't it.

Does your stove have a thermostat?
What position is the thermostat switch in high/Low, On/Off or Manual
If no stat needs to be in manual

Cold start with thermostat switch in "Manual". Start up of combustion air fan and pellet feed was normal but the blower never turned on. Let it go for a while thinking maybe the fan would turn on once the unit was warmed up but that didn't happen. Wondering if there is supposed to be a jumper across the 2 connection points for an external thermostat?

jumper across the 2 connection points for an external thermostat?
Not necessary with a manual switch
Blower -- check for power at the pink wire, check the ground
If you feed the blower does it work?
Also from the manual see page 13
C. HIGH FAN SWITCH

Unit seems to be working. Started it again in manual, no blower. Switched briefly to "High/Low" which started the blower and then back to manual. unit seems to be working correctly now.

Reactions: johneh