Breckwell stove "burped"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNYker

Jan 22, 2016
NY
Hi everyone,

My wife and I had come home from shopping and turned our Breckwell stove model (P23FS) on. After running several minutes the stove shut down and I turned it back on and it ran for several minutes. The stove was getting a good flame going then all of a sudden as we were sitting watching TV the stove sort of "burped" or "coughed" and it blew smoke and hot ash out onto the floor.
The stove is approx. 12 yrs old and I recently installed a new exhaust blower on it and cleaned it. Now the last time I cleaned it, in my hast to get it running again I failed to put the ash pot back in the stove and it ran for 1 day like that with the pellets dropping down into the box that the ash pot sits in. Running my stove like that for the one day could that have caused my stove to "burp" or "cough" the smoke and ash into the room?
I did notice some ash that had collected in the pipe that blows the hot air into the pellets, but I cleaned it out when I replaced the ash pot. Any ideas????

When was the last time that you cleaned the exhaust venting? What configuration on the venting? Do you have an OAK? How well did you clean the internal exhaust pathways? Shouldn't be able to get ash out of the heat exchanger so you must have issues there with something out of place ...

Edit: The replacement blower is the correct one? Possible you have a board issue rather than blower issue? (Did you test old blower with test cord external to the stove?)

Last edited:
When was the last time that you cleaned the exhaust venting? What configuration on the venting? Do you have an OAK? How well did you clean the internal exhaust pathways? Shouldn't be able to get ash out of the heat exchanger so you must have issues there with something out of place ...

Edit: The replacement blower is the correct one? Possible you have a board issue rather than blower issue? (Did you test old blower with test cord external to the stove?)
Hi Lake Girl,
I cleaned the exhaust venting less than 2 wks ago, as well as the stoves interior. As far as the internal exhaust pathways I believe I cleaned them thoroughly but will go back and do it again. As far as the blower I ordered it online and was told that it would fit my brand of Breckwell stove all I need to do was change the connections. I'm showing my pellet stove ignorance here but I'm not sure what your referring to as far as having an OAK??? My wife laughed/smiled when I read what you have asked.

Hi Lake Girl,
I cleaned the exhaust venting less than 2 wks ago, as well as the stoves interior. As far as the internal exhaust pathways I believe I cleaned them thoroughly but will go back and do it again. As far as the blower I ordered it online and was told that it would fit my brand of Breckwell stove all I need to do was change the connections. I'm showing my pellet stove ignorance here but I'm not sure what your referring to as far as having an OAK??? My wife laughed/smiled when I read what you have asked.
Hi again Lake Girl,
In regards to my pellet stove no I don't have and OAK, I am talking fresh air from inside the room.

exhaust venting less than 2 wks ago
Before or after change out of exhaust blower? On-line purchase from reputable source? Specs on air movement and electrical match up to original? Control panel original? Surge protection?

Usually when you have ash come out the heat exchanger, it is because a tube/tubes have come loose or there is a burn through/hole somewhere. Not safe (CO and fire hazards) until you find out how the ash got there and repaired....

Before or after change out of exhaust blower? On-line purchase from reputable source? Specs on air movement and electrical match up to original? Control panel original? Surge protection?

Usually when you have ash come out the heat exchanger, it is because a tube/tubes have come loose or there is a burn through/hole somewhere. Not safe (CO and fire hazards) until you find out how the ash got there and repaired....

Hi Lake Girl,
thanks, for the information. I will be calling my pellet stove repair guy Monday morning and promise not to use the stove until then.

OP may have dropped ash near the convection blower intake, which then could pick up the ash and blow it into the room. Let's hope that is the cause, and not a burn-through!
If there was a burn-through, I would expect there would be smell of smoke, and CO detectors going off.

Status
Not open for further replies.