1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

breckwell thermostat options

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by theking, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theking

theking Member

Loc:
    western ma
    Does anyone know if I can use a programmable thermostat with my Breckwell P23? I have a honeywell RTH230B that says it's millivolt compatible but doesn't specifically say the range for the breckwell. Are these thermostats simply contact closure or is the millivolt designation something else?

I hijacked a previous thread but it mentioned the skytech, which I'm NOT using. What scared me about that post was that it said the skytech was not compatible with the breckwell stoves simply due to different millivolt ranges. Not sure why that's an issue but would love to know.

Thanks in advance for any info

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    I can't tell you whether this one will work with the Breckwell, but a millivolt thermostat is simply one that operates on very low voltages - they were invented for gas appliances (like water heaters) where a thermocouple heated by the pilot light generated electricity which was used to power the thermostat. Thermocouples in this application can't really generate much electricity - in the millivolt ranges - so thats why the thermostats are called a millivolt thermostat. You'll almost always see that they work on a variety of devices including gas applicances on the packaging. Typically now they're digital (vs. contact) but that's got nothing really to do with the millivolt classification. Have you checked Honeywell's website to see what its rating is in millivolts?
  3. theking

theking Member

Loc:
    western ma
    I haven't found the specific millivolt rating yet but the instructions do say that it works with millivolt systems. The unit itself is powered by 2 AA batteries. My real question is, does this system still simply close contacts to call for heat? Or does it work some other way. If it just closes contacts, millivolt systems, then I'm all set I think.

Thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.