breckwell thermostat options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theking

Oct 4, 2008
western ma
Does anyone know if I can use a programmable thermostat with my Breckwell P23? I have a honeywell RTH230B that says it's millivolt compatible but doesn't specifically say the range for the breckwell. Are these thermostats simply contact closure or is the millivolt designation something else?

I hijacked a previous thread but it mentioned the skytech, which I'm NOT using. What scared me about that post was that it said the skytech was not compatible with the breckwell stoves simply due to different millivolt ranges. Not sure why that's an issue but would love to know.

Thanks in advance for any info

theking said:
Does anyone know if I can use a programmable thermostat with my Breckwell P23? I have a honeywell RTH230B that says it's millivolt compatible but doesn't specifically say the range for the breckwell. Are these thermostats simply contact closure or is the millivolt designation something else?

I hijacked a previous thread but it mentioned the skytech, which I'm NOT using. What scared me about that post was that it said the skytech was not compatible with the breckwell stoves simply due to different millivolt ranges. Not sure why that's an issue but would love to know.

Thanks in advance for any info
I can't tell you whether this one will work with the Breckwell, but a millivolt thermostat is simply one that operates on very low voltages - they were invented for gas appliances (like water heaters) where a thermocouple heated by the pilot light generated electricity which was used to power the thermostat. Thermocouples in this application can't really generate much electricity - in the millivolt ranges - so thats why the thermostats are called a millivolt thermostat. You'll almost always see that they work on a variety of devices including gas applicances on the packaging. Typically now they're digital (vs. contact) but that's got nothing really to do with the millivolt classification. Have you checked Honeywell's website to see what its rating is in millivolts?

I haven't found the specific millivolt rating yet but the instructions do say that it works with millivolt systems. The unit itself is powered by 2 AA batteries. My real question is, does this system still simply close contacts to call for heat? Or does it work some other way. If it just closes contacts, millivolt systems, then I'm all set I think.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.