Breckwell won't stay lit, no fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer19

Dec 18, 2014
No Cal
I'm new to pellet stoves, bought a new house in July that has a Breckwell Tahoe PS2000i insert. It's worked fine for the last month or so but now it won't stay lit and I'm not hearing the fan kick on like before. When I turn it on, it heats up, feeds pellets and lights normaly after 10 min or so. I've noticed that the on/off light continually flashes and after burning for 20 min or so, the fire goes out. It continues feeding pellets but there's no more fire. I'm guessing that since the fan doesn't kick on, it's getting overheated and shuting off?I pulled the stove out and cleaned and vacuumed everything. Really need to get this fixed, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to close your damper a bit (slide it to the right). If you get too much air at lower settings the pellets burn up before more drop in and the fire goes out. I leave mine completely closed (all the way to the right) for levels one and two and only slide it to the right about 1/2" for level three (I never have a need to burn higher then three).

If you are burning on level one, try hitting the "reset trim" button until the 1 and 4 lights are lit (this is the highest trim level for level one).

Sounds to me like a new room air fan is in order.... Things do wear out after all... Even you.

Thank you very much for the input. It feeds pellets fine, flame goes out with pellets sitting in the burn pot. If the fan is worn out, Is it possible that it could be over heating in 15 to 20 minutes causing the flame to shut off? Even after the flame goes out, it continues to feed pellets. Also, I don't see anything in the manual but the on/off light continually flashes while in use.
Thanks again for your help

Far as I know (and I'm not familiar with your model) they all have a simple safety control, a snap disc fan control (that controls the circuit to turn on the room air fan when the firebox reaches the temperature at which the snap disc closes) and a high limit snap disc (that cuts the power to the control board) when the firebox reaches a pre set (snap disc open) temperaure.

It could be the RA blower is locked or the fan on snap disc is faulty or the high limit snap disc is faulty. All stoves operate on those principles, pretty elementary and simple. You can jumper the snap discs to see if the RA fan runs, or pul the leads for the RA fan and supply power directly to it with a short length of lamp cord and a plug (in a wall socket.) Just keep in mind that the power is 110 VAC and it will bite you so caution is advised and/or call a qualified repairman and have them check it out.

Always an electrocution hazard for the novice. especially if you have a heart condition. :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I don't play with electricity but I'll see what I can do before I call someone out.
Thanks again

Cleaning is usually the first thing you need to do - internal exhaust pathways get plugged with fly-ash. Room blower may need a good cleaning of the fins and blow out motor windings with compressed air. This is the cheapest thing to rule out:) Page 20 shows ash traps that need to be opened. Use a dryer lint brush or bottle brush and a hose on shop vac (with drywall bag) to get in the upper reaches of this pathway. Always unplug stove when cleaning/working on it.
http://breckwell.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/manualspgmanuals/SP2000 manual.pdf

I would suspect the Proof Of Fire (POF) switch may be faulty. It can be by-passed to rule out a faulty switch. Unplug first

Keep us posted! Welcome to the forum:)

Status
Not open for further replies.