Brick back-splash in stove, is it necessary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBurn

Dec 19, 2009
Upstate, NY
As I was cleaning out my Lancaster today the brick back-splash disintegrated in my hands. The stove store near me is closed now. Is it necessary to have that in to run the stove (like does it mess with the vacuum) or is it just a pretty thing that is not necessary?

The brick is in many cases a heat insulator pad.

I would certainly replace it with, at the least, a similar product.

Snowy

FireBurn said:
As I was cleaning out my Lancaster today the brick back-splash disintegrated in my hands. The stove store near me is closed now. Is it necessary to have that in to run the stove (like does it mess with the vacuum) or is it just a pretty thing that is not necessary?

I burn a St. Croix Auburn, and the same thing happened to me last year. I asked my dealer about burning without the brick, he said no problem, and I burned the rest of the year without it, no noticeable difference. I replaced the firebrick with the steel "brick" this year, as I don't think they offer the fire brick any longer (at least my dealer doesn't). $80- for my replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.