Brick Fiber Board DIY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
I meant to do this project right after I cleaned the stove back in April but I got busy doing fun things instead. So this is the first time attempting a DIY board so here's my plan. Form is made from 1/2" pressboard and I have sealed it using a poly clear and will wax it before the cement goes in. I have 3 pounds of refractory cement and I want to embed some 1/4" wire mesh about halfway thru to keep it from cracking apart later. Anyone else make one before? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I wanted to get this done so it can cure for a week or three before the first burn which is usually toward the end of October.

DSC01911.JPG

Anyone else make one before?

Yes I've made several. You say you are using refractory cement. Is it CASTABLE refractory cement? If not, regular refractory cement will not work, it is only good for filling in gaps about 1/4"-1/2" at best, repairs is what it is used for.

If you are using castable refractory cement, then read the directions for cure time and go by them. I would also add a heat cure, low heat in an oven, turn the oven on to its lowest setting let it heat up and using a oven thermometer get the oven around 100 to 120 degrees F.

You may have to open the oven door and turn the oven on and off to try and keep it around those temps. This is all after you have let the mold air dry for a couple of days before heating it.

Like I said, I've made several, but only one for myself the others have been made for other stove owners. I only had to make one for myself and that was at least seven years ago and it is still going to work just fine this season and many following as far as I can tell.

The others I made are also still being used with the owners very happy after at least a couple or more years of use.

Feel free to ask any more questions about this.

Stay warm, my friends!!

Reactions: mustangwagz
Do you try to put in a brick pattern, or color it? Just curious.

If you are replying to me, yes, I made a herringbone pattern that I copied from the original. It was a PITA but it worked out. I will try and find the old pics of it and post.

The brick patterns are not needed for the firebrick to work, it just makes it look a little better until the friggn glass soots up!!

There was a fellow with broken refractory on his pellet boiler who posted on the boiler forum. I imagine this castable refractory stuff could be used to replace that as well.

There was a fellow with broken refractory on his pellet boiler who posted on the boiler forum. I imagine this castable refractory stuff could be used to replace that as well.

Might work, depends on the size of the repair. If it's just cracks and such then the regular refractory cement will work, anything deep or a large area then the castable is needed.

Also to the OP, I would not put the wire mesh in the mold. While that works good for concrete slabs and things like that to reinforce, those do not go through a quick temp change like the firebrick will. I think you might actually create a problem with the wire in it.

Yes I've made several. You say you are using refractory cement. Is it CASTABLE refractory cement? If not, regular refractory cement will not work, it is only good for filling in gaps about 1/4"-1/2" at best, repairs is what it is used for.

If you are using castable refractory cement, then read the directions for cure time and go by them. I would also add a heat cure, low heat in an oven, turn the oven on to its lowest setting let it heat up and using a oven thermometer get the oven around 100 to 120 degrees F.

You may have to open the oven door and turn the oven on and off to try and keep it around those temps. This is all after you have let the mold air dry for a couple of days before heating it.

Like I said, I've made several, but only one for myself the others have been made for other stove owners. I only had to make one for myself and that was at least seven years ago and it is still going to work just fine this season and many following as far as I can tell.

The others I made are also still being used with the owners very happy after at least a couple or more years of use.

Feel free to ask any more questions about this.

Stay warm, my friends!!

Thanks FirepotPete,
So, here's what I ended up doing. After a dry run, I realized that 3 pounds of refractory cement (castable type) wasn't going to make a 9x14x1/2" thick brick. Also, the color was tan, which I didn't care for either. I had some portland cement and decided that I needed to add about 1 cup to make the mix stretch enough to fill the form and to turn it grey. Not knowing how portland cement would affect the mix I decided not to get to fancy and add the brick pattern but just give it a stucco texture. Turned out pretty decent and, after some research, I think the portland cement won't hurt a thing. So how long does it need to bake Pete? I have a pellet grill that will hold 200 degrees as long as needed.

DSC01930.JPG DSC01933.JPG DSC01931.JPG

So how long does it need to bake Pete?

Long enough to assure all the moisture is out of the cast. Everyone I did I cured in the oven for 8-10 hours. I'm sure it was over kill but better safe than having one blow up in the stove. I also had left them out a couple of days prior to curing them in the oven. I suppose a person could weigh them once it sets up and you take it out of the mold. Once it stops losing weight most of the moisture would be out and then cook it on low for a few hours and see what the weight is. You'd need a decent scale down to ounces I would think.

Glad you had the castable and didn't waste your time and money!

Status
Not open for further replies.