Brick hearth under woodstove... Can I paint the brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
If I paint the brick hearth under a woodstove, will the paint peel or blister due to the heat?
A painter friend says that If I seal the brick that there is some type of high-heat additive I can mix with the paint to make it last? I'm not sure... do you guys have any advice?

You can use high-heat paint in a spray can by rustoleum. It comes in several colors now.

What kind of stove is it and what are the R requirements for that stove?
Some stoves have a high requirement, which means they heat up the floor.
Can get some high temp paint at a car parts store.
Some stoves are shielded and do not heat up the floor under them.

I'm with pine....
It depends on the stove and the basics.......but most masonry paints and others that tend to soak in should be fine in most cases....where the hearths only get warm or slightly hot (where you can usually touch them). As mentioned, stove paint or BBQ paint should be even better.

It will be a Jotul F600 Firelight CB...... We like the look of painted brick and have ordered the stove in Ivory Enamel.

Detector$ said:
It will be a Jotul F600 Firelight CB...... We like the look of painted brick and have ordered the stove in Ivory Enamel.

Have you done anything??

Status
Not open for further replies.