Brick in the firebox - stove brick, that is....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mvortex1

Nov 14, 2017
Valley Forge
No manual, nothing to compare to = no problem. Let's get some opinions. I have, with the help of our hearth.com members determined I have a coal stove. It does burn wood and I'm keeping it that way. I pulled the doors, drilled and tapped larger screws (why did they use junky 1/8' screws?) and am in the process of re-gasketing the entire stove.

The next step is the firebrick. I have nothing to reference and have to make a decision on how to best insulate walls with something that will easily crack in half under the impact of a round of hardwood.

The channels, outside of the shaker grate clearly were designed to accomodate 1 1/4' firebrick. The channels are also slanted so you can place the brick in the channel which will slant it back approx 15 degrees. My guess is the front channels originally had a brick sawn in half, longways to keep in the coals. The sides and back should then have enough brick to cover an entire length or as much of a length to fit. The back left and right rear bricks that came with the stove are cut at an angle to fit the angle of the side brick that slants from left to right.

Please see the pic, my question is should I place a second layer of brick against the sidewalls to support the slanted inside brick? Otherwise, it appears that a mild hit from a large log wil snap them right in half at the bottom.

I've also clean the chimney (6") liner and only found a fluffy grey and black ash that blew out the stack like news years eve confetti. So it appears that even with damaged brick this stove burns nice and hot and is heating the chimney sufficiently. We'll see how much better it performs after the new gaskets and firebrick are in place.

stovestone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - nut coal jams in the shaker. Should I go pea coal or somehow get larger coal than that? I do want to give coal another try. Thanks,

How's about just using one brick against back wall and let the channel fill with ash.

How's about just using one brick against back wall and let the channel fill with ash.
Already done, I double lined the entire bkx. Primary reason is the wall-lining wouldn't stay up and kept falling. Second reason and most importantly is I have it running nearly twice as efficient at this moment. Not running quite so hot but burning half the fuel in the same amount of time. Sucks with pea coal, won't stay lit.