Brick mason out today maybe a stove change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon aloha

Feeling the Heat
Thought we decided to buy the Kodiak insert to put in my fireplace.
Now the brick mason says I need to rebuild the front of my firebox, due to the house settling and cracking out the mortar joints. He says I wouldn't like the band-aid look when it was done If he just did the mortar repairs.
So he says how would you like the front to look. I ask if he could arch it to make enough room for a regular wood stove. He said he most certainly could. I called the Kodiak dealer and they refused to sell me a regular wood stove to do this as it wouldn't be certified anymore if part of the stove was still in the firebox. Is this true?
Next I called the Kuma dealer and ask about the Ashwood stove and my idea. He told me that that stove can be installed as an insert or free standing stove, so it shouldn't be a problem with this type of install. Now I think I'm back to buying the Kuma stove, or is this change of the firebox to accommodate a free standing stove not a good idea?

No there are several members who have installed there freestanding stove just as you plan to. I'm sure they will be along soon to help you out.

I have set a freestandwr into the fireplace at the farm. Its a very crude look and a budget vogwlzang stove. But its utilitarian and for heat when I'm there on the weekend.

I never liked the looks of the insert surround. My wife wants to make the house look a little more of a county. So I think a free stander will be closer to what she likes. The mason say's it will look very nice. Like we planed it from the start.

Another Question: My hearth is 12" off the floor and the stove legs are 10". The bottom of the stove will be 22" off the ground. Will that look funny? Should I try to find shorter legs so your eye won't be looking under the stove?

I rebuilt my fireplace and stuck a Woodstock inside. image.jpg

My Jotul F 600 stove is set up something like what you are proposing. I measured the height of my hearth and the legs on my stove and it comes out to 18". Here are a couple of photos so you can see what it looks like. I think having the stove up off the floor level makes for better fire viewing.

IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0211.JPG

A stove inside a fireplace? Heresy!

Our family room:
P4040040.JPG

Our den (excuse the wallpaper... left by PO):
P1130007.JPG

Wow, Thanks Todd, Nick, and Joful for the inspiration. Great installs. If others are out there please post me more photos of your installs. This is definitely a great help in what can be done. I will show these photos to my mason and come up with a plan for my wife to approve. Thanks again

I'm surprised at the dealer's response. Call Enviro support and see if this is fact or just a bad opinion. The dealer's worries don't seem to be based on fact.If Enviro says no, the Kuma should be fine.

Here's what it will look like with a big steel stove in the fireplace. This is BrotherBart's first firing of the 30NC.

BrotherBart 30 first fire.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.