Brick Panel Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genette

Dec 27, 2013
Moscow, Idaho
I have been reading your threads about cleaning out my Hastings pellet stove. I am wanting to try to remove the brick panels to clean the ash out from behind them.

Our stove isn't burning correctly, the flames are extremely tall and are not spikey like they are suppose to be. We are also getting black soot build up on the glass, this is something that has happened recently.

I clean the stove on a weekly basis. I regularly clean everything like it has been suggested in the posts. The only thing I have not tried is removing the brick panels and the tubes around the combustion fan that has been discussed.

Can you please send me pics of where the damper handle should be placed. My husband set it to look like the manual (I think it is actually backwards) Until just recently we never hand to mess with the damper.

How do you perform the dollar test also.

We have had a technician come out to look at it and all they tell us is it is our settings.

Please advise on the brick panel removal and any other suggestions you may have.

How do you perform the dollar test also.

Don't know about your particular stove, but the dollar test is to check seal integrity. Put a dollar bill where the seal you want to check (door, hopper, etc) closes so the door closes over the dollar. The dollar should be held quite tightly and not easily slip when you pull on it. Check all around the perimeter of whatever openings you have in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.