Brick Veneer and hearth construction question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
I've ordered a Absolute Steel Hybrid Tall and am redoing the veneer part of my hearth with brick. My question is, since this is indoors and on a wall, can I use a mastic or liquid nails to hold the veneer up or does it need to have a scratch coat and be buttered, etc, etc. I ask because I have all the materials to do the adhesive route but I've never done that near heat so I don't know how that variable will come into play.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use adhesive like liquid nails unless the wall is beyond the minimum clearance requirement for the stove. What is the current surface?

I'm far from an expert, but I think I would trust a mortar vs. glue over the long term when near a high heat appliance like a woodstove. It may not be as convenient, but I would guess it would stand up better.

it has veneer stone but some work on the other side of the hearth wall on the outside of the house caused some stone to be damaged. Add to that the fact we were never too fond of the color of stone we chose initially (buyers remorse), and a new stove coming, we decided to change it all up. The wall will be at the proper clearance from the stove and I plan to use double wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling support so temps aren't going to get very high there. I think I should just do it the traditional way and save the adhesive for something else. Thank you for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.