Brick Veneer Hearth - Help/Advice for newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfetone

Apr 29, 2014
MA
Hello all,

So I have to extend my fireplace hearth to position my new Jotul F600 wood stove on. I was going to do the hearth myself.

I know the dimensions I have to do, I am going to remove the existing hearth and place cement board on the floor, followed by metal mesh both screwed down.

Then I was going to use a brick veneer surface. I never used brick veneer. I just bought sanded grout as my spacing will be about 1/2".

Do I need to lay the brick veneer with construction adhesive, or is grout fine for underneath and the joints, or can you only use the grout in the joints?

Will the F600 crack the brick veneer or will it withstand the weight?

Any other comments?

I've done a little masonry work, but I'm certainly not an expert. However, I haven't heard of using the technique you described. I think thin set mortar is what is usually used to attach the sort of brick you are talking about. And I haven't heard of using a metal mesh between the brick and the cement board. I've only heard of using the metal mesh to help stucco adhere to a wall, not between brick and a cement surface. The most important thing when laying tile or brick veneer on a floor is making sure the floor is solid enough that you won't have any flexing when you walk on it (or in this case when you place the Jotul F600 on it) because any movement will case either the brick veneer to crack or the mortar joints to crack. Good luck.

Sanded grout is really for tile, not brick.
Quickrete makes a special mortar for veneer projects, I used it on my walls. Since your project is flat on the floor I would probably just use grey thin-set and set them just like ceramic tiles. Then you will go back and fill the joints with mortar using a grout bag. If you get that special veneer mortar, you can just use it to set them and for the mortar joints.
http://www.quikrete.com/productlines/mortarveneerstone.asp

For the best support you would actually set that cement board in a bed of thinset, then screw it down. I don't think you will need that metal lathe either, don't usually see it being used on flat surface applications. Definitely don't use glues of any kind under the stone, it won't offer the bond that you need and won't hold up the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.