Brilliant Morso Wood Insert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaG

Jun 22, 2013
Central PA
I quote some months ago asking for advice on wood fireplace inserts. We already had a Morso 3610 stove and wanted an insert with a similar modern look. Neither my husband nor I wanted to get anything with a fan, and we polled this forum for advice on 'passive' inserts. I wanted to report back, and thank everyone (again) for their advice/opinions.

We opted to go with a Morso 5660, simply because I like the aesthetics and we knew the quality. Our opening was quite large, so we needed a custom surround. Fortunately, we were able to custom design the surround to create two essential features: two 1/4" slits on the top and bottom, to promote natural convection around the firebox, and a 1/8-1/4" reveal around perimeter of the surround for more air movement.

After several months, I am pleased to report that it works like a charm! Very clean-burning, efficient, and definitely sends some warm air into the room as well as heating up the brick chimney face.

I attach several pictures of the installation, so you can see the opening, the bit of demolition required to get the insert discharge up into the chimney, and the surround prior to installation. I also attach pix of both the insert and our original Morso (with one view of the side-loading door) in operation.

For those of you who prefer something more modern, I heartily recommend both of these products.

insert in place.jpg demo for new insert discharge.jpg insert surround.jpg Morso_Insert 1.jpg Morso_Insert 2.jpg Morso_stove.jpg Morso_stove_side_door.jpg

Looks great! I really like the insert, if I was to put a stove in my other fireplace it would probably be the Morso, we also need one that convects without electricity.

I love the look of a lot of Morso models.They are just so damn small compared to what I need.

The 3 cu ft 3610 is a pretty serious big, radiant heater.

I caught that on the other thread. You are correct. Funny how this stove doesn't come up in 2 yrs. and then suddenly it shows up twice in one day.

I caught that on the other thread. You are correct. Funny how this stove doesn't come up in 2 yrs. and then suddenly it shows up twice in one day.
To be honest, you had me excited. I thought I was somehow miss-reading the numbers. I always wanted a Morso stove. They just kind of have a cool modern/industrial/steampunk kind of look to them.

I love the look of a lot of Morso models.They are just so damn small compared to what I need.
Depends on the model. It is the most modern ones that are the smallest (given their European application/market.) but the 3610 stove takes good-sized logs, and the insert will accept ones that are just a bit smaller. We cut out own wood, so did not want to be fussing with tiny logs, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.