Bring on Shoulder Season!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Who else is sick of this NE winter?, weatherman says 55° for next friday!!, usually any daytime temp over 50° warrant's a shutdown before going to work!
Imagine seeing grass and the singing of bird's?

I'm going through the last bag of Cubex for this season saving the rest for next year. I might add a couple of tons more of them to the stash.

The historical average daily temps are now back where they were just before Christmas so for me it is shoulder season.

I'm ready to do a bit of garden work and build another small chicken coop. Just need the ground to thaw and the snow to go.

Careful what you wish for. We need a gradual melt to slowly dissipate our large snow supply. To quick a temp rise and well be a swimming in our basements!

But yes I would like to see some warmer weather. But to be honest I have been shutting down the stove everyday with the temps above 20ºF. I let the house temp fall to 66º while at work. And she starts up all by herself just before I get home. I then change it to high/low when I get home for the cooler overnight temps.

Might be time to get rid of your dinosaur?

Get rid of the most reliable stove ever?, I'll defend the Whit to death!!
66?, if i shut my stove down be 66 in less than 30 mins and 56 in 4 hr's, one hell of a insulated house you got there Jay!

58 here in Cincinnati. Both Harmans are off and resting nicely. 60 next week.

It hit 51 here. Good thing as electric went off for an hour and a half, 1st time this winter so can't complain. Used the down time to give the stove a good cleaning.

Hit a high of 44 here today. yeah, not great, but after this past 2 months, it felt like spring out....LOL.

Supposed to get to 50+ tomorrow, Thurs, & Friday. :)

I'll be back burning the Rockies this week, and plan on getting a ton (or 2?) of Chows for next winters "shoulder seasons".

A balmy 28degrees here today. Actually felt warm compared to two weeks ago.
Gonna hit some pellet places next weekend for pellets, thinking maine choice
or maine woods...
Dang I'll hafta update the signature !

We've had fairly strong winds and temps in the 40s all day today, that helps with sublimation of the snow pack and cuts down on flooding potential. Our temps are also forecasted to approach the 50°F mark by Friday, plan on running the leaf blower on the PL vent pipe that day, just need some decent Westerly winds (normally where our winds come from) and it'll be a done deal.

temp still "cold" here in central Maine. Will be for some time to come. But the days are longer now. The seed catalogs have been coming in the mailbox. I'll be greatful just to get the ice out of the driveway. Two bad falls this winter with only a concussion is about all the "luck" I can endure.

save$ said:
temp still "cold" here in central Maine. Will be for some time to come. But the days are longer now. The seed catalogs have been coming in the mailbox. I'll be greatful just to get the ice out of the driveway. Two bad falls this winter with only a concussion is about all the "luck" I can endure.

Hey you, stay in and off of the darn ice crud.

Definitely ready for shoulder season. Hell, I'm ready for motorcycle season. You snowmobilers can keep the snow up north !!!!!

Save$, I can SOOOO identify with the iced driveway. After several falls in the past years, I take extra time to make as sure as can be that the driveway is clean. Add that the driveway is a hill and its no fun having your feet go out from under while snow blowing. Spent 2 Saturdays in a row chopping ice, 5-6 hours each time. But I have clear pavement. :)

gbreda said:
Hell, I'm ready for motorcycle season.

That's what I'm talkin bout!
And fishing season and kayaking season.
I'm so done with the snowplowing gig.
Plow is off the Jeep and tucked inside my garage.
Praying I won't have to use it again until next winter
and hoping to shut down the pellet stove soon too!
Temps rose to over 50F today!!!

52 degrees in Attleboro, MA at noon time but a front is coming through tonight with a high wind advisory. Low tonight said to be around 15. Cold on Tuesday but warmer by weeks end. Let us not forget that March can roar in like a lion.

I cannt wait this winter has been way to cold. the last 2 days temps up in the mid 40's, by the end of the week close to 50. I havebeen looking at camping sites all ready, camping and fishing, bring it on.

The warmer weather feels great! I too am burning the Rockies. Hopefully, the warm weather stays. However, I do live in Michigan and as the saying goes, "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 mintues!"

Pellet-King said:
Get rid of the most reliable stove ever?, I'll defend the Whit to death!!66?, if i shut my stove down be 66 in less than 30 mins and 56 in 4 hr's, one hell of a insulated house you got there Jay!

I work with this one whit owner(think its a 94) and he feels the same. I tease him all the time. Because he's always forgetting to adjust for the temp so he is either freezing or sweating! He will only burn Energex in the green bag. Swears by the stove and them pellets!

Every time I added insulation, I felt like I was stuffing pellets into the stash. The permanent ones that is. Stove only ran for an hour or so this morning and hasn't come on yet this evening. I usually just leave it on Auto/Off on these warmer days. I doubt I will even burn a 1/2 bag today!

My poor boat is stuck in 4 feet of snow! Looks sad sitting out back with all that snow cover on it. Sure hope it melts before the season starts. Kind of bleak looking right now!

Set the stove to a 1 today, burning Chow it's 70 in here, it's as low as it goes, If I had a Igniter and a T-Stat be a different story.....
I remember back in spring '97 I bought a snowmobile in april and few weeks later went to Mt Greylock on the first day of fishing season, on the way up saw many boats on the road in the berkshires during a snowstorm as they must of been pissed, there was over 2 feet of fresh powder that day.

Got up close to 50* today, checked the weather channel when I got home and this is what i saw! Tonight, low around 4*, tomorrow high around 20*, tomorrow night low around 7*...so not really shoulder season yet. Of course Wed is supposed to be in the upper 30's with rain, and thursday and friday warm to. This could get messy!

Ice did melt a bit off the driveway. I went out and scraped a bunch off into a snow scoop. Weather man says 15 degrees for a high tomorrow. Warm up for the weekend. (40). I have a stove shop man coming to the home tomorrow to discuss options for conversion of our prefab fireplace. Only need to boost the temp up 4-5 degrees when it is real cold. Wife is pushing for a gas insert so we can have some heat should we loose power.
I don't climb anymore, so cleaning a pellet insert would be tricky. Also can't deal with pulling a stove in and out of the fireplace. Cost is another. If it is a lot to lay out to get it in, I might as well run the furnace. Don't know, will need to see what this dealer will present as options.

We have shoulder season for the next 2 days, lol

Today 51 / 35 PM Showers
Wed 41 / 32 Rain/Snow Showers
Thurs 31 / 24 Light Snow
Fri 26 / 16 Light Snow
Sat 29 / 12 Partly Cloudy
Sun 31 / 17 Partly Cloudy
Mon 28 / 15 Light Snow
Tues -1 / -10 Partly Cloudy
Wed 1 / -25 Partly Cloudy
Thurs 13 / -19 Partly Cloudy

Had a nice little leak in my entry way roof this morning, that promtly froze. Did someone say shoulder season, its 10* out right now....

Bigjim13 said:
Had a nice little leak in my entry way roof this morning, that promtly froze. Did someone say shoulder season, its 10* out right now....

Yeah, so? Isn't your normal temperature at best 10 below during the day time.

So it's shoulder season (average temperature is now back to what it normally is just before Christmas), I stopped burning my Cubex that confirms it.

Status
Not open for further replies.