Bringing heat into the bedroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbillyx

This will be my second winter heating with a pellet stove. It worked great last year except for the fact that my master bedroom stays cold and my wife freezes. The bedroom is around the corner and down the hall from the pellet stove. Some heat will eventually make it into the bedroom but only if the door is left open (this requires turning up the pellet stove and overheating the living room, which the stove is in). We close the door overnight to keep out needy pets.

Anyway, what is the best solution for bringing heat into the bedroom?

I was considering having a vent/register installed between the dining room and the bedroom. The dining room is the room next to the room with the pellet stove and it shares one wall with the bedroom.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated. Thanks!

xbillyx said:
This will be my second winter heating with a pellet stove. It worked great last year except for the fact that my master bedroom stays cold and my wife freezes. The bedroom is around the corner and down the hall from the pellet stove. Some heat will eventually make it into the bedroom but only if the door is left open (this requires turning up the pellet stove and overheating the living room, which the stove is in). We close the door overnight to keep out needy pets.

I was considering having a vent/register installed between the dining room and the bedroom. The dining room is the room next to the room with the pellet stove and it shares one wall with the bedroom.

I put a small box fan at the floor level in the hallway outside the door to the bedroom that was pulling cold air from the bedroom and moving it towards towards the stove. This creates a nice convection and in my house, made a big difference. Of course, it all depends on the layout of your house.

xbillyx said:
....... It worked great last year except for the fact that my master bedroom stays cold and my wife freezes. The bedroom is around the corner and down the hall from the pellet stove. Some heat will eventually make it into the bedroom but only if the door is left open (this requires turning up the pellet stove and overheating the living room, which the stove is in). We close the door overnight to keep out needy pets.

Anyway, what is the best solution for bringing heat into the bedroom?.......

I was originally going to say to use a fan or two to blow air down toward the bedroom, but having the door closed because of pets eliminates that idea.

I have a similar problem in the master bedroom, as it's down the hall from the great room where the stove is. I ended up just buying a small electric heater at Wal-Mart for nighttime use....works great and is quiet:
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5130766

Holy cow!!! I thought that I was on the wrong site for a minute there... I will avoid a smartassed remark about your bedroom behavior and move on...Good luck!!!

If you put in a register I would plan on adding power to it. You could try it first and see what kind of results you get, without power. If you can locate it directly above a outlet it will make hooking up power much easier. We use a heater called a Vornado in our kitchen for the same reason. You can get them on E-bay and some hardware stores carry them. They are somewhat pricey but do a excellent job in the way they move air. I have 4 of the cheaper heaters and they are all going to be sold at our next garage sale. We actually have 2 Vornado's now. You can get them in a manual version and a digital version.

Bkins

Ghettontheball said:
. . . fan blowing out from br . . .

Bingo. Best way to move air is with negative pressure (in my opinion). Example: I have a small fan in the only basement window. I have it set to exhaust air out of the basement. This is for occasional summer use when the basement smells musty. This pulls dryer air downstairs from the first floor and will slam the basement door closed if left open a bit. When trying to open the basement door I can feel the vacuum.

If you can exhaust air out of your bedroom into another part of the house through an interior wall it will pull the heated air in under the door. Assuming there is a clearance under your door? Else you may need to use one of those pet gates?

Mike -

Utilitrack said:

Holy cow!!! I thought that I was on the wrong site for a minute there... I will avoid a smartassed remark about your bedroom behavior and move on...Good luck!!!

The fan serves two purposes. Convection and some noise for distraction!

The reality is there is really no good way to accomplish it and all suggestions above , while good, might only work to a degree. This issue of cold rooms were tackled at the earlier part of the previous century when central heat became a reality. Even much improved with zone heating.
Call a heat man and zone your bedrooms (s) off the furnace. It will make life easier and your home more comfortable not to mention save on pellets trying to overheat one part of the house to get some heat to another , all the while using noisey fans on the floor, etc.

Home Depot sells a fan that is designed to be mounted in a partition wall. Sounds like a perfect solution, as the bedroom is on the same floor as the stove...as long as the adjoining room is plenty warm. You cut a hole all the way through the wall, and the fan sits inside, with grates over each side. Looks like wall-mounted loudspeaker.

My pets left us just before I installed my stove last year, so leaving the doors open isn't an issue. I was considering one of these fans to put in the stairwell wall, which forms one of the walls of my bedroom. I notice that heat really collects there in the stairwell...much warmer there than in the bedrooms, themselves. But it turned out not to be necessary.

We seem to be assuming you don't have forced air...if you do...I suggest running the summer fan continuously (slow speed) ..it will even out the temps in the house without the furnace burner kicking in. if you have a hot water boiler and rads, then I'd go with the small electric heater in the room that needs a boost....be sure it is thermostatically controlled though.

xbillyx said:

Dual control electric banky

Moving air is a tuff task! Especially a distance away from the stove. I did put registers with fans to the second level of the house where the bedrooms are. I also purchased register fans that just sit on top of the register on the floor. It worked pretty well. For moving air down a hallway I still have not figured it out without raising the stove temp and burning more pellets. I did purchase one of those nifty fan heaters and I also used an oil filled heater and the trade off was YES I had a nice comfy warm room. BUT! The electric bill was thru the roof! Not cost effective especially when oil is fairly cheap. Those heater fans are anywhere from 750W to 3000W. It's like running a blowdryer for hours. I would consider or suggest just raising the oil/propane/gas furnace in the evenings to a comfortable level for the kids and wife.

We make due with an electric blanket for a mattress pad and one of those little ten dollar wallyworld heaters shaped like a cube. We do keep the door open though and a fan on the floor in the hallway. Those small electric heaters end up costing just a few bucks each every month. One of those oil filled electric radiators works very well too. All of them have thermostats and are kept low. It works for us and it gets nasty cold around here.

I agree with Gio, is there any chance that the bedroom(s) could be put on a different zone than the stove area? I heat my bedroom zone with oil and the rest of the house with my pellet stove. I have programmable thermostats of both the pellet stove and the bedroom oil burner zone so I just flip the zones on at the appropriate times and both areas are plenty warm. I may burn a bit more oil than most guys here like, but I am really just shooting for the hybrid approach.

Why not a ceiling fan in that bedroom set on min. speed in updraft mode (winter rotation)? Should pull air into the room quite nicely and in much greater volume than the wall insert fans. Have a similar issue here, and that's helped immensely.
(Oh, right, the closed door... I'd say just go the pet-gate route as suggested above, to solve that dilemma.)

Otherwise, as also previously suggested, a nice, efficient radiant space heater w/thermostat might do the trick too, if the bedroom is not too large. Last year we used THIS Sunbeam low-profile high-efficiency space heater from HD in our daughter's bedroom. Has a very effective thermostat and we always had it in energy-saver mode... worked to nice effect and barely noticed it on our electric bill.

We plan on using ONLY pellets this year and NO OIL for our 2500sf home in the mid-Hudson Valley/Catskills region... we'll be going with our ceiling fan for circulation and the space heater for any troublesome cold room.

Let us know how it works out for you!

Electric mattress pad = happy Wife. Worth every penny and we sleep better with warm bedding in an a cool room.

Romy said:
Electric mattress pad = happy Wife. Worth every penny and we sleep better with warm bedding in an a cool room.

You betcha, we often let our bedroom go down to around 55, no sweat. You can tell its warm as the cats come in and fight for position..............

Driz said:
Romy said:

You betcha, we often let our bedroom go down to around 55, no sweat. You can tell its warm as the cats come in and fight for position..............

We let our whole house go to between 50 and 55 degress at night. It very rarely gets that cold. Like you we have a electric mattress pad also and as long as we remember to turn it on 1/2 hour ahead of time we are good to go. Bathroom visits are done quickly as you realize how cold it is. We also have cats that KNOW where the warm spot is in the house.

Wonder what happened to the poster of this topic?

Bkins

Bkins said:
Driz said:
Romy said:

We let our whole house go to between 50 and 55 degress at night. It very rarely gets that cold. Like you we have a electric mattress pad also and as long as we remember to turn it on 1/2 hour ahead of time we are good to go. Bathroom visits are done quickly as you realize how cold it is. We also have cats that KNOW where the warm spot is in the house.

Bkins
Holy hell! theres no way i could do that. 65 in our bedroom and bathroom is plenty cool for me and 74 in the living room....

Clay H said:
Bkins said:
Driz said:
Romy said:

Bkins
Holy hell! theres no way i could do that. 65 in our bedroom and bathroom is plenty cool for me and 74 in the living room....

I agree with Clay....no way I'm having a 50-55 degree bedroom :ahhh: . I keep mine at around 65 too.

actually we shut the bedroom door sometimes and it will get down to close to 60 but with the elec. blanket, thats no nig deal... and this year i will set the thermostat to kick on at around 6:00 am to kill the chill before we get out of bed. getting out of bed and going into a cold bathroom sucks.

macman said:
I agree with Clay....no way I'm having a 50-55 degree bedroom :ahhh: . I keep mine at around 65 too.

If only the kick I get out of macman's use of smileys would keep my house warm, that would be great!
That last smiley is EXACTLY how my wife and kids would look at me if I even muttered letting the house get down to 55 at night!

Status
Not open for further replies.