Bringing heat into the bedroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Home Depot sells a fan that is designed to be mounted in a partition wall. Sounds like a perfect solution, as the bedroom is on the same floor as the stove...as long as the adjoining room is plenty warm. You cut a hole all the way through the wall, and the fan sits inside, with grates over each side. Looks like wall-mounted loudspeaker.
I've tackled this on an old vic with no central heat. Customer laid it out, I just installed it. Worked well enough for them. they had a vent in the door and a fancy x-tra large cieling fan.

The house was so old the exterior walls were concrete/block, the interior was that lathe and plaster stuff, and it only had grates that let heat move to the upper floors. I cut a hole in the lower floor and installed an in-line duct blower. I cut a simple air return in the upper wall above it. Later we came back and put aregister fan in that also. It worked well enough, but I had a wire going by I junctioned into making it easy. FYI they were using the giant fireplace in the main room. I wouldn't call it a success.

Personally I don't think it was worth the cost. You coulda bought a few heaters and run them for that jobs bill.
Coldest place I've ever seen.

I suggest running the summer fan continuously (slow speed)
Excellent notion. This works great at the expense of a little power consumption. I've seen it a few times now that you mention it. Those few had hydronic coils tho, once OWB, once geothermal assist. Some of the new furnaces have an idle speed that works great. However many (especially low end ones) do not have anythign aside from the full on position. A "summer" move-the-air setting would solve most of my woes. I need to pump some heat thru my crawlspace!

Dual control electric banky

Wifey has one. You couldn't pry it from her w/a team of horses.

Where did billy go? Probably moving to a warmer state and using the stove for a boat anchor

After trying several different ideas, I went with this and it works great. It uses 400 watts, is safe (you can put furniture up to 3 inches away) and you can paint it to match your decor. Getting ready to order another.

http://eheat.com/

Ok now that the thread is truly hijacked, what is the deal with the Econo heat referenced in the post above. I see a whole lot of people seemed to have used them and they work like magic. I don't believe in magic, religion or any other hocus pocus so what is the catch????? I remember those Chinese / Amish heaters that everyone raved about and were really pieces o crap that everyone bought the last couple years. So what is the catch. I use a 1500 watter with a thermost turned down low and it works fine but that isn't nearly 400 watts is it? Does this work like a Monitor or Toyostove just chugging along constantly? I don't buy it so what's up here, and no I don't believe in the Easter bunny either. Show me the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my parents put in one of those flat electric heaters in their guest bathroom, it is great for heating your towel but a small ceramic heater has it beat every other way. If you want to go electric I would go quartz tube (radiant) or oil filled radiator type (lots of them on sale at yard sales)
but either way you are paying more for electric heat, the answer this guy is looking for is how to move heat from the stove he already has.

Yup, sure enough, I must have had one of those "believer" moments. My bedroom is down a 30' hallway and off the side at and it ends up being moved around 2 corners like a U shape. Thats right next door a long way around with transoms in the entrances of both rooms out and in. Not even close to ideal. Both the little small 10" and the bigger window box fan do the job to a point, the bigger box fan working better but being something of a pain to not trip over as it blocks half the hallway. It is quieter though for the amount of air it moves. The other trade off is that you have to leave the bedroom doors open at least some. If only the heat carried around those corners as well as sound does all would be well but it doesn't. The TV comes in loud and clear like it is in the room. Of course it's amplified by having it louder to be heard over the noise of the pellet stove fans. Ironic isn't it?
Still, unless you are a savage like me it will get colder in the bedroom by far than the living room where my stove is. By putting the electric space heater in the 2 bedrooms it lets me cut the thermostat back to 60 on the stove. Since doing that my usual pellet, corn use went down from 5 to 6 tons to 2.5 or 3 max. The trade off was the price to operate the 2 1500 watt heaters and electric blankets. Of course the teenager has em running flat out all night much of the time and it still only raised my electric bill between 10 to 20 bux. That's border line amazing since we have world famous NYSEG, king of extortion for a provider. Of course we still keep the thermostat on the electrics down to around 60ish or a bit less but it seems to work really well even here in Northern NY.
Anyways long and short of it thats the best I have been able to do since starting this odyssey in 2004. The main enemy it seems is the central oil boiler sitting in the cold basement and heating the whole house all the time when you don't really have to. Mine at least is sitting in a 45 F basement leaching all its heat out there and wasting its heat distributed by only 2 zones. I buess extreme space heating really works after all.

macman said:
xbillyx said:
....... It worked great last year except for the fact that my master bedroom stays cold and my wife freezes. The bedroom is around the corner and down the hall from the pellet stove. Some heat will eventually make it into the bedroom but only if the door is left open (this requires turning up the pellet stove and overheating the living room, which the stove is in). We close the door overnight to keep out needy pets.

Anyway, what is the best solution for bringing heat into the bedroom?.......

I was originally going to say to use a fan or two to blow air down toward the bedroom, but having the door closed because of pets eliminates that idea.

I have a similar problem in the master bedroom, as it's down the hall from the great room where the stove is. I ended up just buying a small electric heater at Wal-Mart for nighttime use....works great and is quiet:
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5130766

Macman
I just bought this heater and it works very well. I just noticed the plug gets a little warm after about 2 hrs. Have you noticed this/

hossthehermit said:
Ghettontheball said:
Romy said:
Clay H said:
Ghettontheball said:
Bkins" date="1253308686 said:
macman" date="1253306018 said:
Clay H" date="1253305280 said:
Bkins" date="1253304169 said:
Driz" date="1253302966 said:
[quote author="Romy" date="1253286132"]Electric mattress pad = happy Wife. Worth every penny and we sleep better with warm bedding in an a cool room.

You betcha, we often let our bedroom go down to around 55, no sweat. You can tell its warm as the cats come in and fight for position..............

We let our whole house go to between 50 and 55 degress at night. It very rarely gets that cold. Like you we have a electric mattress pad also and as long as we remember to turn it on 1/2 hour ahead of time we are good to go. Bathroom visits are done quickly as you realize how cold it is. We also have cats that KNOW where the warm spot is in the house.

Wonder what happened to the poster of this topic?

Bkins
Holy hell! theres no way i could do that. 65 in our bedroom and bathroom is plenty cool for me and 74 in the living room....

I agree with Clay....no way I'm having a 50-55 degree bedroom :ahhh: . I keep mine at around 65 too.

What's the most quotes you can get in a post when quoting a quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded post?
I think it is all what you get used to. I'm pretty warm at 65 degrees. I have friends that keep their home at 70 all year round. When I go there in the winter I have to make sure my undershirt is in good shape because that is what I end up in. I like to sleep between 50 to 60 degrees. To each there own. 74 im my living room is borderline to warm even for just a place to warm up on those rare occasions that I get cold. As I mentioned the house rarely gets below 60 degrees. We often have a window cracked in the bedroom during the winter. Try it you might like it.

Bkins
fewer germs in colder air too
The why are certain viruses (flu) a cold season issue?

What's the most quotes you can get in a post which quotes a quoting quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded quoteded post?
u kept the chain to ask a stupid question, genius

When I got home from work today, my wife said her sister had called, and may need a place to stay for the winter. Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with the subject in question, but........[/quote]

UPDATE, BREAKING NEWS, PICS AT 11 . Wife sez her sister called this morning, staying in the Keys this winter, load off MY mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.